PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
From what I've been able to find, this Loewe could be pre-1920's. Pipedia states Loewe had no grade stamping on pipes made up to 1920. The only stamping on the briar is on the left side and reads: L & Co inside of an oval. I'll try to detail the sterling hallmark as much as I can. I welcome any information about the dating If there are any resident Loewe collectors with us.
This pipe seemed to be somewhat cared for from the excellent shape of the briar inside the bowl, airway, and mortise. However the outside of the pipe had some dings. I tried to be as noninvasive as possible with the cleanup. I steamed the dings out as best I could and only polished the silver with ashes to preserve the hallmark stamps.
gUbO7pXl.jpg

If0WihFl.jpg

vIPg6KBl.jpg

dlYSwPal.jpg

KpMTldIl.jpg

j6HlpKfl.jpg

gkCDMNtl.jpg

g6Or93wl.jpg

These are the best pictures I could get with my camera phone. The nomenclature reads:

L & Co inside the oval H & W inside the rectangle
The three markings the best I can make out [1st] D or possibly an A [2nd] Left facing four footed Lion with tail over its back. [3rd] face looking left
I found this British silver hallmark dictionary and I marked in red dots, the symbols that closely match the ones on the pipe.
GQLxuJUl.jpg

Py9iQ4Gl.jpg

tJv5iWel.jpg

KF5yEJ2l.jpg

Here is an excerpt from Pipedia about the early Haymarket era Loewe
MLN7zy8l.jpg

Py9iQ4Gl.jpg

Reactions: craiginthecorn

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great job cleaning up that old Loewe! The hallmarks are from London 1919. The H&W seems to be for Henry WARNER trading as HARVEY & WARNER - London, and the L&Co is for Loewe. The orific bit fits right into that period. Very cool old pipe!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a fantastic restoration. If only you could have been around to refurbish the 1919 Treaty of Versailles...

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Amazing Job Dan! Always love seeing old become new again, especially at an age of close to 100 years.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Admittedly, don't know a lot about this brand, I have one old billiard, nothing fancy but a great smoker... yours looks Fantastic Dave! Enjoy that one!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Beautiful restoration! I'd like to know about the method you used for polishing the silver.
As for Loewe, it's a very historic brand. Emil Loewe, a French Jewish pipe merchant, opened his shop in the Haymarket in 1856, becoming the first to sell briar pipes in England. In those days, the center of the Briar pipe industry was centered in St. Claude and Loewe imported his bowls from St Claude. Smoking was very much frowned upon by polite society at that time, so Loewe's customers were those who sought to be daring, set fashion, and included many theatre folk.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nice work all round. :)
For whatever reason, chubby little briars were quite popular at that time. Between their size and the band, they're practically indestructible. I have two of the buggers (both BBBs), and love 'em. They smoke great, fit in a pocket, and even the round-ish cross section of the orific stems isn't a problem.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I love those orific stems on the older pipes, this one is gorgeous. The pipe overall is just awesome!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I really enjoy these restoration threads.
Good work. Very nice indeed.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. Normally I'm not afraid to tear into a pipe during a refurb. Since this one was pushing 100 years old, I tried to be as easy as I could. I was more concerned with making it smokable and preserving it than giving it a mean shine.
@ ssjones, good guess. It is 4.5 inches long.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Outstanding job on that one Daniel! It´s great how you´ve got the briar back to showing it´s grain again. Makes me want to try out such an old pipe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.