PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We had a thread on naming our fantasy pipe shops. Now let's rent that space (or buy it). What are you looking for in real estate?
Here are my considerations:
1. Low rent or price, but only relative to other considerations

2. Rather high density commercial and residential population

3. High foot traffic

4. Steady vehicle traffic

5. Sufficient parking

6. Proximity to a college or university campus or other social focus

7. Close to other businesses that attract potential customers

8. Atmospheric interior, either rustic or retro, any good interior architecture whether retail or industrial
Okay, enough of my practical minded hoopla. What are some other winning traits of a pipe shop location.

May 31, 2012
Since this is fantasy,

I would no doubt choose my location as Monte Carlo in Monaco,

droves of rich people, beautiful women, and one of the classic Formula One circuits.

:)
data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,ynNK9CRU_kzMpnTBJrNoe1qm-1Y_hjOamFEB_707KrkU6b3pf4xdFis8Jo1huxlQas9k3AYmrqsXAGC0dpjKP_SSALxUiFWpcSEfww0NaFIukE7rafMwbXPUPnAX6pUCwbPR4ZCQgfJju3r6sY9XKjg75bONMmZ0Lk7RoDMLZk1fDPLy3VjXp__5pOHhzUWec9eNMtxB0iU2kxc

However,

I'd hafta Frenchify the shop name,

so Curmudgeon's Dungeon would become

le Donjon de Grincheux
Hé,

je peux rêver je ne peux pas?

:puffy:

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
St Aldate's and Pembroke St in Oxford seems like a nice spot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Outside the U.S., Amsterdam, Paris, or maybe Chartres would be pleasant.

I would put it out in the middle of nowhere. You're just not going to get walk-ins really spending much money. The percentage of random people on the street interested in buying a pipe, or tobacco, or even a cigar is low. So, why not put it out away from people, so that there is less likelihood of prying eyes wanting to pass some anti-smoking bill to close you down?
Besides, I drive out of my way fairly often to visit The Briary, and almost everyone that comes in is from out of town, even the regulars drive a ways. Make the place a destination location. Maybe 15 minutes off an interstate on a rural exit? Then spend money on advertisement.
Actually, there would be no way in heck that I would invest a dime in any B&M at the moment. You know how much it makes store owners want to jackslap customers when they start bragging about how much they save by buying online? The culture is just changing, B&M's are all struggling to survive or bailing out asap. All wholesalers are now marketing direct to the B&M customers, which is driving them out of business. Pretty soon there will not be any retail, except food and maybe clothing. And, the post office will triple the amount of carriers. And, tumble weeds will all collect along mainstreet, next to the crackheads.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe on an asteroid with good web connectivity via satellite. Maybe a remote rural location for a online-based business, but done up so that customers could make it a destination for a day trip. It's just difficult to staff an actual shop with only periodic walk-ins.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm not in a state of mind that is comfortable with a sales environment.

My fantasy pipe shop would involve (remember, this is fantasy) me making artistically and functionally appealing pipes without concern for sales.

It would be where the neighbors weren't troubled by any noise I might make or dust I might raise.

Key West sounds about right. I don't think I'll outlive rising sea levels there?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I marvel at my local independent pipe shop owner. He's been there for forty years and I have no idea how he has hung on. Remarkable. He jokes, retirement is not an option. I bought my first Savinelli unfinished pipes from him decades ago as basket pipes.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I try to buy from my B&M shop whenever possible, (even though their tobacco prices are $25 for a tin I can buy online for $10) in hopes they keep going.

May 31, 2012
After posting the pictures and giving the tour Peck's barn should have a moat to keep us out. :worship:
I did hear that he had a three-headed Cerberus helldog genetically engineered to protect his stash

from the ravenous hordes and nosy Koreans!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pecks-korean-oddity
:mrgreen:
9OzsriR.png

Status
Not open for further replies.