PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
My area has few options for tobacco shops. Small shop on the island primarily caters to the cigar crowd, but does have a small selection of bulk pipe tobacco and accessories. I stopped in this afternoon looking to get 1/2 pound of Lane 1Q and 1/3 lb of Black Cavendish.
Looking through the pipe stuff, I saw that he had one pipe tool, I needed one so I grabbed it up. No pipe lighters so my eye moved toward tinned tobacco. Nothing really exciting, only had 5 blends and nothing really caught my attention. So I pay for my tobacco and pipe tool and thank Mr. Z. for his time.
Mr. Z. lights up a cigar and reaches behind him to the shelf, "did you bring a pipe" he says to me in a welcoming fashion. "Of course I brought a pipe" was my friendly reply. "Have you tried Nightcap?" he asks. I told him that I had not, and might consider grabbing a tin next visit.
Mr. Z. tells me to make myself at home. A brown leather sofa and two brown leather chairs wrapped around a small coffee table entice me to take the offer. He walks around the counter, plops the tin of nightcap on the table with a magic marker."Write your name on the bottom" he exclaims."I'll keep that one under the counter for next week when you come in, at least you will have something to smoke when you visit."
So, I write my name on the tin, open it, pack a bowl and enjoy an hour and a half chatting with Mr. Z. about politics, tobacco legislation and taxation along with random conversation to make the afternoon worth sharing. Got to sample Nightcap, which was a new blend for me and spend some time with old man Mr. Z. getting to know him a bit and he getting to know me. All in all, I consider today a win win. His shop is over priced, but I will return for a few bulk items, pipe cleaners and such just so I can feed a local business with some dollars.
I was treated like family and rewarded with conversation and experience of an old school tobacconist. I was very surprised he opened a tin for me to try, and expected nothing in return except for the company and a new face in one of his chairs. When I got up to leave he shook my hand, welcomed me back anytime to share a bowl with him and handed me a single pipe stand from under the counter. Nothing fancy, just a cheap plastic one, but it is nicer than the one I did not have, right?
So, thank you Mr. Z., today you earned a new customer and as time goes on perhaps the friendship of a younger individual more than willing to absorb all the information you are willing to share.
Happy smokes gang,
Carbon

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
What a wonderful experience! It seems that the local tobacco shop is the closest thing we still have to a pub here in the U.S. While our bars and taverns have evolved along with capitalism, more concerned with profits than people; the local pipe lounge has remained frozen in time.
I'm glad you've found a peaceful new asylum from the everyday clutter! Puff on, my friend!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Good story. I stopped in my local B&M today and ran across some Balkan Sobranie. The guy running the shop had no idea what Balkan Sobranie was and only knew that they had just gotten it in the other day. He picked up a tin and then I requested all three that he had and he was surprised that I wanted all three tins. There wasn't a Karate Kid experience for me, just the usual B&M with employee that knew nothing about pipes or pipe tobacco. It worked out for me and it sounds like your trip worked out for you. It was a good day at the B&M. :puffy:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Nice story. I do wonder about your statement that your local shop is overpriced though. Over taxed, over legislated perhaps.Over priced? Compared to internet "stores"? I am fortunate here in N>E> Ohio to be within a short drive of some half a dozen B&M stores. They each have a pretty good, not exhaustive fare. Tinned tobacco goes for about $15.50, give or take for 50 gr. tins. I generally smoke GPL blends in 50 gr. tins. McClelland 100 gr. tins are about $21.00. I could certainly buy them for less through the internet. I choose to buy locally for the most part.Obviously, these prices can be beat at any online store. I don't do this because I am wealthy or stupid. I do it for three reasons.
1) You can't beat a friendly place to sit back, converse and enjoy a relaxing pipe. It has value.

2) I believe that one day, online sales are going to be curtailed by way of taxation. I believe once it begins, it will happen quickly.
3) If we let our B&M stores go the way of the dinosaur, when online sales are curtailed, we will be left with no place to buy good tobacco.
Maybe Mr. Z. would be open to expanding his line of tobacco? My local shops all began carrying GLP at my request and sales are brisk (for pipe tobacco) so its a win-win.
Mike S.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Over taxed, over legislated perhaps.Over priced? Compared to internet "stores"?
@MikeStanley, Yes to all. His price for Nightcap was $20 a tin. I can buy on line for less than $11. Bulk, per pound he is right in line with most I have seen on line. So he will get my business for anything he has that I want in bulk. As to your list....
1)I could not agree more, it has tremendous value to me

2)I believe that it is coming faster than we think it is

3)Not a matter of us letting them go, a matter of when the government kills them due to over regulation
I asked him about expanding his pipe tobacco selection, he says he only has about ten regulars that come in and buy bulk so they can make their own blends. He carries a light burley, unsweetened black cavendish, a light and a dark virginia and from time to time he orders in 4 pounds of latakia for another guy.
A history that he shared with me, and this pertains strictly to Florida. Several years ago the roll your own places popped up all over the state. They were taxed on cigarette tobacco making their business just as expensive as buying a carton of smokes at the store. So, they started using pipe tobacco to make their roll your own blends, thus making their product a lower cost value for customers.
The state was making no money on these tobacco sales, so four years ago they added the cigarette tax to pipe tobacco. Over night prices doubled and the roll your own places fell off the map. There are a few new ones opening here and there locally, but they won't last just as the others before them. The tax was added to cigars as well, adding an average of $1.10 to each cigar.
Tobacco shops like his have a lawsuit against the state and have been in limbo in the court system for three years. He also told me that the FDA is now in the tobacco game. They are trying to pass legislation so every cigar, pipe and cigarette tobacco be tested for its chemical component break down. Mr. Z. stated it would put many out of business if this passes and again, there is legal action in place to defeat it.
So, it is a catch 22 for all of us. I am not wealthy by any stretch, and like many, I need to spend my hard earned money wisely to get the most for my buck. Buying local I could acquire 1 tin with my weekly tobacco allowance, buying on line I can get 2 tins. The math is simple for me, as it is for so many others that work on a fixed budget. Monthly, I would much prefer to add 8 tins to my pile. However, I will buy loose bulk tobacco and supplies from his shop every month.
After speaking with him and discussing the taxation and legislation, it really opened my eyes to how entrenched in killing small business the government is. Not to make this a political rant, I find it very sad indeed.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's the taxes that raise the price, at least around here. It's too bad. Of our B&Ms, one is ickily fake and the others are corporate.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Very cool story! These types of rare shops I pray survive the transition period. It'll be a sad day indeed if they fall by the wayside. Were I independently wealthy, I'd open a small shop for fun and to kill time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I keep thinking that the financial problem with B&Ms is (1) taxes and (2) a rather small audience because of their local nature.
A B&M would combine well with a coffee shop, a lifestyle store (razors, golf, guns, leather goods), a liquor store or watering hole, or even one of those places people go to buy and play video games.
I wonder if one of those combinations would allow a B&M to thrive and afford the higher rents it needs to be near its audience. It seems many of them are thriving from cigar sales.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Death metal- I agree with your ideas of a B&M partnering with something else that has a totally different audience. I would start with combining a liquor store and tobacconist and then a nice coffee house with a classic tobacconist. Not a head shop/smoke shop.. A real tobacco shop.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
How about a pub -- beer, wine, liquor, coffee, tea -- with an attached liquor store and tobacconist? This sounds like a fun place to visit already.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Indoor smoking laws here in Ohio rules such a place out here. Toledo had a tobacconist coupled with a coffee shop before the ban took place in 2007. My local shops allow you to bring a beverage of your choice into the store.
Mike S.

feloniousmonk

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
Upstate NY
Your more fortunate than you realize Carbon. I went on a tour of my local "smoke shops" & all I got was disappointment & an education about MJ usage that I wasn't looking for. Out of 5 places within 5 miles of me, 1 is 100% cigar centric, another is a corporate chain (smokes 4 less) and 2 more are straight up head-shops. The only I didnt get to was because I lost hope of finding a legit B & M in th NY Hudson Valley area.
I really envy you fellas with legit B&M. Especially, those with a lounge.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
If I travel north to the other island about 35 minutes we have a true tobacconist, on St. Armands Circle it is http://benningtons.com/
I have not been there yet, but I plan on going next weekend. They have been there since 1965 and it is a full service tobacconist. I am going to call tomorrow to see if I can bring a video camera and maybe talk to the them about the business, changes they have seen and about their house blends. Maybe I could put the video here if they let me. I have heard it is a very upscale place and have seen video of their Boca Raton store which is an hour south of me on another island.
Mr. Z's place is nice because it 5 minutes from the house, but driving to the island is no big deal to go to Bennington's.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
My local tobacconist (local as in about a mile away), is truly quite stellar: nice selection of Peterson pipes, along with basket pipes and corn cobs, about 20 bulks consisting of Lane and Peterson, and a nice selection of tins too (Peterson, Dunhill, Ashton, McCllend, Pease, Drew Estate). One of the coolest things is he has about a dozen tins open that can be freely sampled from! His lounge has nice comfy chairs as well! I'm blessed to have this so close by!

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Cool story.
I wish I had a local B&M to visit. I'd pay a couple extra bucks for a tin once a week to help keep the lights on for sure. In my town there is no B&M, only "discount tobacco" outlets that only have a handful of OTC blends and NO pipes or accessories in stock. Not even pipe cleaners.
The nearest B&M is about an hour away and isn't much better. Half a dozen cobs, basket pipes, and maybe 2 dozen pipes on a shelf of assorted brand. They have the major OTC blends, about a dozen tinned blends (all Dunhill), and 10 bulk blends. Of the 10 bulk blends, 6 are aromatics (which I don't smoke), 2 are renamed McClelland englishes (which are OK but not great) and blending latakia and blending perique.
Whenever I get up that way I always try to pop in and buy something, usually cleaners and a tin of Dunhill Flake or Nightcap, just to help keep the lights on. But it's a long ways away and they don't really have much I'm interested in. Also, since it's usually a Saturday when I am able to get there, I don't get a knowledgeable tobacconist to talk to. I get one of an ever-changing line of college-aged kids apparently working part time.
Judging by the business I have seen them transact during my visits, I'd say that cigars, cigarettes and vaping supplies are the dominant money-makers for them. They do have a really expanse selection of cigars at least. Seems a shame. Too bad more people don't smoke pipes around here.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I visit a friend in a city to the north, and we usually visit a local B&M to smoke away from the families. I either get a cigar there ($8 for a basic Macanudo) or an ounce of bulk ($6 for a Stokkebye/Sutliff) just to keep the fires lit. It's a good excuse to smoke something and hang out in a comfortable environment.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
that is very nice, very warming indeed!!! I have been to a couple b&m and there costumer service is very bland, and their attitude a bit cold, I wish I had brick and mortar with such welcoming attitude, I would most definitely go there more often and spend a bit more just because of the warm atmosphere they had provided with their costumers.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Indoor smoking laws here in Ohio rules such a place out here. Toledo had a tobacconist coupled with a coffee shop before the ban took place in 2007. My local shops allow you to bring a beverage of your choice into the store.
Mike S.
Mike - I live in SW Ohio, I think if such a place were declared "private" with member dues, the indoor smoking scenario is avoided. Of course, the state would audit member lists, etc. But it can be done.
BTW - my wife and in-laws are from Berlin Center/Canfield/Boardman. Any of those places ring a bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.