PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
L.J.Peretti Company has this Bari freehand that has really caught my eye, and I'm seriously thinking about placing an order. The problem is, you can't order from the website. You have to call them and give them your information over the phone. I've grown used to placing an order on a site. Being new to the hobby, I've not heard of L.J. Peretti. Has anyone here done business with them before? And what can I expect?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
They are the finest pipe and tobacco shop in New England and have been around for over 140 years!! That should say enough about them. And yes, they do business the old fashioned way, over the telephone.

Aug 1, 2012
IMO some of the best pipe and tobacco shops I've come across still do business over the phone. Places like Boswell's and L.J. Peretti. Don't be put off by having to call.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Peretti is an old, well-established Boston firm. I have not done business with them, but if they have been around for 130 years, they must be doing something right!

It appears they do mail order,not e-commerce. Not very 21st century, I admit, but there's a lot of those folks out there. There are 4 old-time pipe shops in Michigan - Campbell's, Hill & Hill, Maison Edwards, and Paul's. Not one of them does e-commerce. 2 of 'em don't have web pages. That's just the way it is.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks, all. You've eased my anxieties quite a bit. Sadly, one cannot be too careful these days when it comes to paying with a card. I think I'm going to go ahead and make that purchase. :)

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I went to Peretti's recently and the owner was friendly, helpful and generous. Also, if you like English Blends, their Tashkent is awesome!

Jul 12, 2011
Might tasty bacci over there...their London slices (great VaPer), Royal and

Omega blends are also some of the best English blends I have tasted...

and they don't call me "TheSmokinDragon" for nothing ;-) my

brothers said if I could find a way to smoke in my sleep....I would

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Yes, Stephen Willet is the current owner of Peretti's. I had a very enjoyable visit with him.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/l-j-peretti-co-boston?select=Uakh_VRP9fR_y-QTN8_Ztw#Uakh_VRP9fR_y-QTN8_Ztw

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
A few months ago I bought a superb estate Il Ceppo and some Royal,Omega and Scottish Flake from them. The fellow on the phone was helpful and they shipped quick. The blends were very nice. All around good experience.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks all :) You made me feel better about purchasing from them. I meant to order the Bari today, but when I got around to it, it was about 4:30 and I saw on their website they close at 5:00. At least for Sundays anyway. I figure about that time, whoever's working just wants to finish out the day, close up, and go home. I think the pipe can wait until tomorrow :) First thing tomorrow, however, the pipe is mine.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I purchased the J T Cooke from them and still fondly recall my first estate I purchased there many years ago.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I used to order a ton of stuff from Peretti -- "used to" as in 25 years ago! They are a great shop with a great legacy. I don't think you can go wrong.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I am going to try to stop in there when I am in Boston in June; want to pick up one of their pipes and some Latikia laden tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.