Tags:  No tags yet. 

LJ Peretti

(24 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by blackadderlxx
  • Latest reply from blackadderlxx
  1. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I just can't take it anymore. I hear so many good things about these guys, so I just put in my first order ever with LJ Peretti.

Burley - Cuban Mixture
    English - Oriental No. 40
    English - Tashkent
    English - Smith's Own
    English - Royal
    Yuletide

That is all.

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm hoarding a few paint cans I picked up in forum trade, but I've only tried the Thanksgiving Day Blend so far.

I had to google the Yuletide just now. I found it for sale on their site, but no description.

My google-fu is weak today. Any help appreciated.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You will NOT be disappointed.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I'm smoking some Thanksgiving day right now that a generous forum member sent me and even though I'm freezing my tail off I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

You will NOT be disappointed

I can't wait. I went through a couple of threads here and those blends seemed to be mentioned most.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have some great ones. I personally think Royal is the best Balkan available (maybe better than the Sobranie White that people compare it to), and Tashkent is one of the richest, most aromatic, incense like smokes you will ever experience.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

You have some great ones. I personally think Royal is the best Balkan available (maybe better than the Sobranie White that people compare it to), and Tashkent is one of the richest, most aromatic, incense like smokes you will ever experience.

Can't wait. This whole exercise started with me trying some cigar leaf blends and seeing Cuban Mixture come up a bunch of times in discussions. Then someone sent me some thanksgiving day and it was so quality I knew it was time to quit screwing around and put an order in before the Christmas blend was gone!!!

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tashkent is fantastic. I like the others as well. Good choices!

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 7 months ago #
  9. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

I have only tried the Cuban Mixture and the Tashkent. Both are very tasty and left me wanting more. For what it’s worth, I tried the Boston and Cambridge flakes and bought a paint can of the Cambridge! I plan on buying a paint can of Tashkent and 432 next time I go. Enjoy them often!

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

Pride of Loch Lomond
    Tashkent
    Royal
    British
    Dundee
    Park Square
    Are all great blends. I bought a dozen or so 2 oz samples a couple years ago, ordered a couple paint cans since. Going through these blends was a lot of fun.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

I have been buying from LJ Peretti since the early 80's. Great blends.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

black', give us a report as you try them. I like their non-aro burley best, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

black', give us a report as you try them. I like their non-aro burley best, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

So my household got stuck down by flu over the holidays. I ended up looking at these blends for a while before I was well enough to smoke them. As of now, the only one I have yet to try is the Smith's Own. I have to say that each and every Peretti blend I have tried has been made of fantastic quality leaf. I mean, really really good stuff. I have enjoyed each of the blends I've tried. But I have to say that today I tried Royal Blend for the first time. I immediately knew that this was now one of my favorite blends. It was so good, at times sweet, others tangy. So so good. Cuban and Tashkent have also been very good, as have Yuletide and Thanksgiving Day. I guess I'm going to have to just work through their entire catalog...

One good thing about trying this stuff, is it made me realize that if the FDA hammer drops and a lot of my favorites are no more, I could probably survive quite nicely with just Peretti blends.

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

LJ Peretti is classic.

You have got some great blends in your order.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 6 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Directly or indirectly, the FDA changes could impact shops ability to offer their own blends. Just spoke with a well regarded blender today who was bemoaning the increasing difficulty of sourcing tobaccos. Shops such as Peretti do not process their own leaf. They are dependent on primary leaf processors. With the exception of Mark Ryan, every licensed primary processor I know of in the US is owned by a multi national for whom base ingredient pipe tobacco sales total up to a rounding error. At the very least, how much more added paperwork will these companies choose to put up with?

Moral: If you like a shop blend, don't count on it always being available despite the best wishes of the shop. Or the intentions (and hopes, since the ones I have met over the years at shows like their jobs and want to keep them) of the managers of these divisions of the multi national companies that are in control. These are fine people, but they are pretty far down the food chain when it comes to making financial decisions as to what lines of business to continue.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

And just like that my TAD came back...

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Of all the Peretti blends I've tried, Boston Slices is my favorite.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great old Boston shop.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. 8 slices. Don't forget about that blend.

Posted 6 months ago #
  20. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

No. 8 slices. Don't forget about that blend.

Next order.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. kylef

kylef

Login to Send PM

I live in MA on the North Shore, and stopped by the shop in November. I picked up an ounce each of Blend 102 and Boston's Best Cavendish. I really liked both of them, and will certainly try some others when I'm in town.

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Hey for those of you that have tried Peretti's aromatics - any you recommend? I've had Thanksgiving Day and Yuletide and loved them both. Are there others that are of a similar quality?

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. drrock

drrock

Login to Send PM

Hey for those of you that have tried Peretti's aromatics - any you recommend? I've had Thanksgiving Day and Yuletide and loved them both. Are there others that are of a similar quality?

I really enjoy Blend #432, Coffee blend, and Ebony - all quality aromatics. While it’s not an aromatic, Park Square ranks right up there with Cuban Mixture and Tashkent for me.

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy Blend #432, Coffee blend, and Ebony - all quality aromatics. While it’s not an aromatic, Park Square ranks right up there with Cuban Mixture and Tashkent for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I already have Park Square sitting in a shopping cart for my next order.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, craig61a, paulfg, buzkirk