PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
So I have recently gotten into pipes and everything that goes along with them. When I was younger I found some of my grandpas pipes that he smoked as a younger man and I thought since he is gone now this would be a way to kind of share something with him. I had one of his falcons with me as well as a couple of cobs that I have acquired over the years and a small $10 pipe I bought at my local B&M.
Anyway, I knew that the coolest looking pipe (at least what I remembered as a kid) was still at my parents house so when I was there this weekend I went looking for it, excited to give it a try. I knew the tip of the stem was broken but I would be able to find someone repair that for me. When I finally found it thats when the let down occured. It was pretty beat up. The finish was worn off, a chunk was missing out of the side, the shank was packed full, and like i already knew the stem was broken. Like I said I was pretty let down because this was going to be my new go to pipe. From what I can tell it isnt anything special, a DR. Grabow Savoy I think.
So the question is do I try to repair it (is that even possible?) or do I just pick up another in the same model and call it a day? Just wanted to share my experience and see if any one else has has something similar happen to them.
Thanks

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Almost anything on a pipe can be repaired so the question is how sentimental are you about the pipe. Since it's Grandpa's I would send it to a reputable repair person like Floyd Norwood @ Norwood Pipes in Tennessee. Walker Bros. is another very good repair service.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey mate, welcome to the forums. When one considers cost effeciency, one must consider monetary value and sentimental value separately. The Grabow is a "Low End" pipe and worth only a few bucks even in smoking condition. So as far as monetaty value, no it would not be worth it to repair it. As far as sentimental value, that is a price that only you can decide upon mate.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I got a few of my grandads old pipes not long ago. I looked over them and they were pretty beat up, no surprise if you knew the man. He worked construction and almost always had a pipe dangling from his teeth. Some of them cleaned up well and are very pretty pipes. I love smoking them to feel closer to him. Those were his "house pipes" though. Of the work pipes there were some stem repairs, a bit of burnout, easy stuff fixed it with some pipe mud. on one the stem was a bit loose so I took a look and he had wrapped it in sinew thread to tighten it but that had rotted out years ago, I got some new sinew and rewrapped it,tightened up and smokes great. But one pipe, the old briar beater that he carried so often it's shape was stretched into every shirt pocket he had, that one was well beyond my abilities to repair. The cost is more than I can afford for repairs right now. So that pipe has a place of honor on it's own stand right in the middle of the coffee table. I pick it up, hold it in my hand, put the old broken stem between my teeth the way he used to, and toss another pocket full of chains in the mason jar I have labeled as the pipe repair fund. Someday it'll get fixed up, it'll be smokeable,and that first char on that first bowl on that old pipe will make all the waiting worth it.

So you may not be able to get it repaired today. But if it's worth it to you, then toss some change in a jar, save up, and savor the anticipation. If that pipe is that beat up...well it was obviously well loved. You don't have to smoke it today to keep loving it.

But that's just my two cents, from my little smoking cave. YMMV

:puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I can also vouch for Norwood in Tennessee, the replacement stem he put on my LJ Peretti was masterfully done, better than the original, really.
3aA8Y.jpg

enjoy your pipe smoking journey, and welcome to the forum.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Like you guys have said I realize that it would probably cost more to repair it than it is worth. I like your suggestion Josh. I think I will just try to clean it up best I can. If I can get the inside cleaned out I may see if it will even smoke. If it will I will definately just leave it as is for now and use it as my grandpa did. Later on maybe I can just get a new lookalike and keep the old one for show. Here are some pics of the damage. Hopefully they turn out okay, this is my first attempt at posting pictures.
Also, it appears that the blockage may be some sort of paper. Was there a filter or something that went in these pipes?
pipe2.jpg

pipe1.jpg

joshwolftree

wow from what I can tell in the picture the chip on the side is a minor cosmetic issue in doesn't look to be much deeper than the sanded out portions of the rustication, perhaps hit it with some fine grit sand paper to get rid of sharp edges and I'm sure one of the brilliant folks on here can tell you all about refinishing it so it matches the rest of the pipe or stripping the rest and refinishing the whole thing. and yeah those Grabow's come with a paper filter so +1 to everything rothnh said about getting that bad boy out. Just remember to give your bowl some time to dry out before smoking it after that soak...not hours more like a few days or a week.

Is the blockage in the stem or in the shank? I know you said the stem was broken if the blockage is on the stem side perhaps just getting a replacement stem will solve that problem as well.

Oh and that appears to be the model they call a savoy I have two of them myself they're both great smokers my favorites in fact for hanging in my mouth during gaming sessions. Their comfy on the jaw and the weight is distributed nice nicely. Because of both the fact that Grabows are mass made and they take a standard size filter, your a step ahead of a hand turned stem on replacements. :)

glad to see you giving the old girl a chance, and she will be too.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Send it to Walker Briar Works and he can get it like new. Possibly for less than a new Dr. Grabow. Could work out to be a nice pipe for smoking or at least a nice family memento.
If you do buy a new pipe, I suggest putting a little more money into it and getting something really special. If you only want to spend what it would cost to get a Grabow, though, I reccommend getting a Wellington instead. Same price, better pipe.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
That pipe is just in Ned of some TLC. Much worse have been restored to better than new. Keep it and refurbish yourself. Excellent wat to learn. Look on the Dr Grabow Collectors Forum site for info. I collect obsolete DG pipes and they are some of my best smokers - better than any of my 4 Petersons.

Bb

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
The old pipe has some life and spirit left in it still. joshwolftree said it best. Take your time - throw your left over change in a jar save up to get it fixed right. The pipe will bring back the good memories the way only that pipe can. enjoy

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I would say that if the pipe means that much to you then it's worth the cost to repair it. From what I can see it was definitely well used and I'm sure there are many stories that go along with that pipe. Whether you repair it and smoke it or leave it be and have it for a conversation piece it will provide many great memories.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
If you can get it fixed go for it, if you can not, I suggest retire it, mount it, and put it somewhere good like over the mantle.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
Normally, if I clean up a pipe and there's a hole at the mouth end of the stem, I just cover it with a B.J. longs live rubber pipe bit and smoke away, but this break looks more serious. I bought a corteccia di Mauro Armellini for just $25 on eBay because it had a fine crack lengthwise in the lucite stem and I was able to repair it beautifully by applying a thin line of superglue and letting it dry shiny. For loose stems, I use Gorilla glue to form a circumferential layer of white "cork" at the end of the pipe shank. If you don't like the result, it is easily removed. or if it is still loose, another layer can be added. This has to be done in almost all my cherrywood Ropps, they get loose shanks. A bit off topic, but I wanted to share these little tips.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
A little bit of an update. I got the old filter all the way out, cleaned out the bowl and did the salt/alcohol thing a couple of times. The chamber cleaned up quite nicely. As for the stem i used the cutoff wheel on my dremel and squared it off then smoothed out the rought corners with some sand paper and gave the whole stem a polish. I also noticed when cleaning it up that it is in fact a DR. Grabow Duke. Looking at pictures I would have put money down that it was a Savoy. I took the pipe into the local B&M to compare it to another Duke they had there and I actually like the stem cut down a little since I like shorter pipes. To make a long story short there was a tin of Holiday Spirit and Autumn Evening waiting for me when I returned home for Thanksgiving with the family so since the Autumn Evening was already dry (crunchy dry, but thats another thread)I loaded up a bowl and the pipe smoked great!! I have decided, at least for now, that I am going to leave it as is and it will be my go to pipe when I am outside working. The one thing I may do is pick up some of those rubber pipe bits so it is easier to hold on to. Thanks for all your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.