PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
No, not these guys but actual meteors! I am doing a presentation up at Perkins Observatory this evening for the Columbus Astronomical Society (http://www.columbusastronomy.org) on meteor scatter as this is one of the modes of propagation that is fascinating to me and I have recently started bouncing radio waves off of meteor ion trails. Well, I came across this page that contains audio samples of meteors. The way this works is that transmitters are broadcasting a video carrier for channel 2 (55.250Mhz). Your local transmitters may be on that frequency, but others may be slightly higher or lower in frequency so you will here a different 'tone' when a meteor streaks over head causing the radio waves to scatter. The receiver will then pick up the new tone. Other times you will hear the local tone amplify or decrease suddenly as a far of transmitter with the same frequency cancel or add to the existing local tones. (technically the radio waves the receiver mixes down into the audio frequency range using a local oscillator).
Anyways, knowing that my fellow briar brothers and sisters are of a certain bent towards cool interesting things, I thought I would share.
Jason
Oh, if you are in the area of Columbus Ohio, please come to the meeting tonight. My presentation is at 8pm and I will have my pipe handy. I am the only guy in the club that smokes a pipe and there is nothing like smoking a pipe standing outside of historic Perkins Observatory. PM me if you want to know how to get there. It doesn't cost anything.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Good luck on your presentation! I won't be able to make it since we're in different states, but if you were a little more local, I'd go. As for listening to meteors, I've never heard of this. It sounds weird, and I'll have to check out that website. Thanks for the link!
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.