PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I guess it's a bit late now, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice for pricing and listing pipes on ebay. I've listed one of my Dunhill pipes (EDIT: Ebay link removed/Al). It's a 1980 Cumberland that smokes well and feels good in the hand, but I've got my eye set on another collection and am purging some of my better pipes. I set the starting price very low. But then I notice some people set a starting price much higher.
Does this have an effect on how much the pipe will eventually sell for? I'm imagining two identical pipes, one with a starting price of say $200 and one with a starting price of $0.02. Which do you suppose will generate the highest sale, everything else being equal?
Not that I want to manipulate and gouge people... however, I'm curious to know if there is anything that you really should not do because it greatly devalues your pipe. The starting price of a bid tipped me off to that, but it was already too late to think about.
Any ideas?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not an Ebay guy but I'd say you did yourself a disservice with that starting price. Hopefully you'll get a mad bidding war and get what the pipe is really worth.

I suppose you can always withdraw from the auction and list it later.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Unless you are willing to take a big hit I'd list it with an optimistic BIN with a make an offer set to decline the low balls. I price in the larger hit you will take on the BIN valuation. It might take awhile and I would expect to adjust the price in time. When I sell I borrow a little from Cooper and Soderman and talk up the pipe with large type and highlighted words. Good luck! 8O

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I do a fair amount of Ebaying. If an item I am interested in has a starting price of what the item is worth, I usually just pass it up. If it has a really low starting price, I'' either bid on it right then or add it to my watching list. I'll continue to watch the item thoughout the auction and my excitement builds that I might get it for a low price. Then, in the last seconds of the auction I will make my high bid....which is usually that the item is worth. Many times I've outbid.
I guess the theory with starting with a low minimum bid is you'll probably hook in a lot more interest and watchers. These people will watch and bid throughout the auctions duration and this will often build a frenzy in the bidders, many times resulting in a high final bid.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I prefer to start with a penny and hook in lots of watchers or use a BIN listing. Dunhills usually get a good look regardless, though, so you'll probably do just fine. It's fairly unusual for Dunhills to sell too much below the general market price.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I've been selling on eBay since 1999. Music and sport cards mostly. I've tried selling new and estate pipes with little luck. If it's a rare or unusual pipe with a brand name that has a following then you might get near what you want. I listed an unsmoked ruby bark Dunhill for $220 that I paid $480 for three months earlier... not one bite in 45 days. I ended up trading it on the forums to a guy that had an unsmoked Castello Rhodesian.
When I want to sell a pipe, I usually start with it on these forums and try to sell it 20%-35% below my comfort zone... or I add some extra value...

I get $. I help a buddy out here. I avoid hassles from strangers about what estate means to me. Lastly, I get the $ fast.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Serious buyers at a certain price range will search in terms of brand, not price.

They will know values.

I think that either a reserve that meets your standard, or, an attractive beginning price to stimulate the imaginations of more timid buyers, could result in a bid up on your offerings.

Once a bidder has made an offer, he is more inclined to make another. (at least from where I sit)

Status
Not open for further replies.