PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure
First off this is a nice article about airflow in a pipe. It does have a lot of hyperbole, as is common with writing in this industry, but still seems like generally good information.

With the frequency of new members around here it may as well get brought up again every once in a while, and I haven't found any threads quite focused in on just this one thing.

I'm tempted to ask for draft hole dimensions but pipes are more often than not restricted at the button and not the draft hole, and while it's tempting to list makers with restrictive buttons, that would probably degrade into mud-slinging anarchy pretty quick. Lets just leave this to positive experiences.

This does leave room for makers listed to be inconsistent, but at least it's something to point you in the right direction vs. searching hundreds of manufacturers blindly.

Basically, if you were backpacking through Italy and some guy sitting on his front porch carving Briar with a pocket knife sold you a pipe, and it has a nice draw, I want to hear about it.
Standard plastic stem Missouri Meerschaum Cobs are probably a good reference point for "open draft", if your pipe has a similar draft, or if you don't have any Cobs but at least find one pipe much more open than average, list it here.
Personally I found my Savinelli 320 and Icarus Bend Egg pretty good out of the box, and of course all my plastic stem Cobs.
Edit: I was going to try and list manufacturers, but on second thought that sounds too edgy as well. I just want personal experience with individual pipes.

Seacaptain got in before the edit, my apologies.

Jan 8, 2013
My Rattray's has a pretty open draft. But to be fair, it is a 9mm pipe, and I smoke it without a filter or adapter.
MM's definitely have the best draw I have smoked thus far though, so I have to agree there.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Wouldn't any pipe with a removable stinger automatically have a fairly open draw with the stinger removed?
I've got a Lane Crown Achievement which is a rebranded Hilson that I smoke without the stinger, and it has a pretty open draw.
I also smoke my filtered Dr Grabows without the filter resulting in an open draw.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All of my Weavers, Sav 904, my three Vauen Auenlands, my four Holm era Ben Wades, and of course, my MM's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some filter pipes with the filter removed get pretty windy and dilute the flavor for me. I use the Sav adaptors in any 6 mm filter pipe to restrict the airflow just enough to bring up the flavor without making it hard to draw. For shear wide open, but still sufficiently flavorful draw, I like my Ser Jacopo Dublin and my Sav's whether designed without a filter or smoked with an adaptor; Chacom is great in most pipes; Petes; Johs; Kaywoodie; Yello-Bole briar. My most restricted draw that I still enjoy smoking is a Ropp straight apple; it's tight but still delivers, and with certain more subtle blends like Virginias it magnifies the taste for me. Same thing with a Vuillard, but not quite as tight. (I think I have too many pipes.)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I, for one, enjoy the mud-slinging anarchy on this forum. :wink:
+1 on the MM's a baseline for open draw. I have two Stanwell 32's that came with an open draw right out of the box, as did my sole Savinelli (673KS). Filter Grabows I find a bit restricted; I open the draft to 5/32" before I even smoke them.
The Bruyere St. Claude Extra billiard I got from the SPC new-old stock a while ago surprised me. For such a svelte pipe, I was expecting a tiny draft hole, but mine was around 5/32", probably the closest metric equivalent.
My one Wessex, a 601, and my sole Barling (new production straight bulldog) would NOT count as open draft, although neither is so restricted as to be unsmokeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.