PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I searched through the forum for a current list of restorers and the last post was years ago. I did not want to resurrect a post that old (again) so I thought I would start a new post.
My wife saw me browsing the ebay listings and I suppose I left my browser open to a Weber Virgin Deluxe that she purchased for 16 dollars or so. It is in great shape with some nice grain but needed some sanding to remove some markings and light scratching. She gave it to me today, and I used some 2000 grit wet sandpaper to take care of the minor scratching and what looked to be light burn marks or maybe a sharpie (it did not come off with EtOH). I did not tackle the stem because I did not want to risk screwing up the imprints. Also, since I have no table top buffer, I have to send it off in any case to get it re-stained and buffed unless someone can tell me how to hand apply carnauba. The stem was in relatively good shape and all I did was attack it with bar keep and it looks almost perfect although I suppose it needs a coating of some type. Whomever owned it before seemed to have reamed it to the wood or almost.
Ok, so now you know the rest of the story and the reason for my question regarding restorers that might would take on such a small job. Thanks.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
picsplay_14878911725691-600x575.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Georged is one of our respected members here and he is a professional repair man and also restores pipes beautifully. If you send him a PM I am sure that he will respond quickly.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
+1 on both recommendations. Jamie at Stem and Briar does fine work. Three of my first ever purchased estate pipes came from there and they all were fantastic.

IMHO, georged's work is the mark every pipe restorer should aspire to.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
she purchased for 16 dollars or so.
georged has spent a good amount of time trying to explain how things work in the repair business. For this type of initial investment on an estate I think you should try someone here on the forum or pagan's link.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks everyone. I am going to send this one to Jamie at Stem and Briar. I had this morning to spare so I spent all morning sanding and sanitizing the pipe. I then used Howard Butcher Block Conditioner which I think most folks are familiar with, that is made of food grade (whatever that means) mineral oil stabilized with vitamin E, beeswax, and carnauba. I am surprised at how well it worked. Obviously, not even close to what Jamie will be able to do but it is protecting the raw briar after all of my sanding and it does not look half bad. It took a buttload of elbow grease but time I have aplenty. Also, the stem looks brand new, really. After I removed all of the oxidation and polished it with Howards, it shines nicely. I am going to use some Golden Grain EtOH (95%) and Kosher salt to sweeten the pipe tonight. I have already cleaned the stem until the last of my pipe cleaners came out as clean as it went in. (BTW, is there a preferred pipe cleaner? All I have left are the Bryn Mawr bristles).
picsplay_1487972883952-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.