PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
After smoking my Peterson deluxe i have noticed my lips on the inside become all lumpy or small spots...is this normal?
am i smoking my pipe too fast?
i think they are salivary ducts on the inside of your lips, but im not too sure....is this normal?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If it's normal, I'm abnormal... which I am actually, but for entirely different reasons. I'd say that's not normal. I'm certain a doctor would be happy to discus your smoking ;)

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
it just feels rough....they are not spots or huge lumps....just feels like somones gone over my lips with sandpaper

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I get weird things going on in my mouth from time to time [insert jokes here], but I've never attributed it to pipe smoking. It could be the smoke is drying your lip out a little or you may be having a slight allergic reaction to the particular blend you are smoking, but it sounds like an immune system/histamine response to something? Did you eat or drink anything new? I attributed a change in my health to smoking once and finally realized that I was allergic to sesame seeds after devouring a bunch of snack bars over the course of a couple days.

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
i dont think i have eaten anything that i may be allergic too....do you think i could possibly burn the inside of my lip?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I almost always have the stem inside my teeth line, so nothing touches the lips except the stem. And the inner wall of the mouth that covers the teeth get no or little contact with the smoke.
I'd thoroughly clean the pipe, esp. the outside of the stem, and rest it for a day or two.
What tobacco are you smoking? And, yes, smoking too fast can exacerbate any negative reaction.

M

It may be tongue bite on your lip?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's probably just the virulent cancer that Peterson pipes are well known for causing. In fact, in the 70's, I seem to recall them highlighting that fact in their ad copy. Not to worry, as with most cancers, it should clear up on its own if you ignore it long enough. Or, as my dermatologist says, "Try picking at it. That should help".

M

can you define tongue bite please?
It's a kind of burning sensation on your tongue that can linger for a day or two after smoking. It usually occurs more frequently with straight Virginia tobaccos. The tongue just feels wore out and a little painful. I've never heard of it on someone's lip, but imagine it could happen if the smoke is contacting the lip based on how someone is smoking his/her pipe?

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
when i first started smoking my Peterson, i was unsure of where to put the lip piece...so yes the smoke exit was touching my lip and not the roof of my mouth....maybe tongue bite is what it is......
tks for your replies though.........

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have a small P-lip Peterson that I love. However, I am not a fan of the p-lip design. I do have another pipe that has a similar shape of the p-lip, however the drawhole is under, not above, and makes for a better smoke.
I actually have to put the whole mouthpiece in my mouth to clench it and it touches the top of my palette, triggering my gag reflex

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Does your Peterson have a vulcanite (rubber) stem? You can be allergic to that. I noticed the inside of my lower lip basically getting chapped, sometimes even swelled up like I either got punched or bit my lip. Only happens with vulcanite for me, so I'm guessing I might be allergic to it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't think you have salivary duct glands on the inside of your lip, at least normal people don't. Those are located underneath your tongue at the base. Doesn't sound right, whatever that is. I would go get it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.