Limited Edition Aged Full Virginia Flake.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
We are all aware (well, us enlightened ones anyway) of the beautiful and extremely popular blend by Sam Gawith that is Full Virginia Flake but who has tried the limited edition aged version?
By all accounts it was released in 2014 after being aged two years in cake form. Thing is I am lucky enough to have two tins on their way to me and wondered if anyone had tried it and more importantly how it differed (if indeed it did) from 'regular' FVF.
Regards,
Jay.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Check out these threads:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/group-tobacco-tasting-6-34-yr-old-full-virginia-flake
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fvf-group-tasting-sample-reviews

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ashigger, once I get my tins I shall put one away and open the other and will be sure to do a write up.
Thanks for those links Cobguy, I did actually read them a few weeks ago, well before I knew what was coming to me in the post so I shall now re-read them.
The only difference is that the two tins I have coming are from a limited edition run of factory aged FVF, how that differs from home aged FVF I wouldn't like to guess but I'm itching to get my hands on them. This will be the oldest tobacco I have ever had the pleasure to smoke by the way.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well my package arrived this morning. I immediately opened up one of the tins and can only say WOW! A gorgeous stewed dark fruit aroma from flakes that are considerably darker than those of my recently purchased 'fresh' FVF.
The tins are dated September 2014 so that with the already two years ageing at the factory makes this the oldest blend I will have ever smoked.
I shall do a review with pictures once I get familiar with it.
Many thanks to member Andrew (aka Drennan) for allowing me this opportunity :worship:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I did a bit of digging on the origins of Aged FVF and it appears to have been made for the Pipe Club Of London back in 2014.
The following is what I managed to dig out...
A NOTE FROM BOB GREGORY of Samuel Gawith

& Co. Ltd. in regards to this very special tobacco:
Two years ago, May 2012, the thought occurred as to what would happen to Full Virginia Flake if it was “laid down” for a time.
Five cakes were shrink-wrapped and forgotten about until June of this year [2014]. Rather than offer the tobacco to a large distributor, because there wasn’t enough, it was offered to the PCoL, the home of discerning pipe-smokers and with whom we at Samuel Gawith have such a good relationship and owe so much. The result is a quantity of 50g tins of “Aged Full Virginia Flake”.
The question has been asked “well what is the difference between regular Full Virginia and Aged Full Virginia?”
When FV is made in its regular format the result is a medium strength Virginia smoke with all that a Virginia should be, good aroma, a sweetness and a mellowness that you would expect from a 100% Virginia. Full Virginia when “put down” for two years, undergoes a change. If the conditions are right then the tobacco will enter a further period of fermentation. The colour changes as the Virginias mellow and the sugars come out even more. If you see a grey streak in the flake, do not be alarmed for it is not mould, it is sugar. The taste changes, the flavour improves and the tin aroma is one of a rich dark pudding with “meadow” notes.. Room-aroma is just sublime. In other words the tobacco has slowly changed its personality.
“Aged “ is available in a 50g tin only and once it's gone it's gone.
Hope someone finds the above useful :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Jay the Pipe club of London had this for sale on their website at one time. In me neophyte ignorance I didn't buy any.

Andystewart is a member he might help further your investigation.The one tin I have was a generous ss gift from Andy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Am smoking my first bowl right now and am lost for words!
So very different from fresh FVF, best I bag you up a couple of flakes afore I smoke the lot :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I procured 2 tins of this from Paul Hubbart and was trying to find out the year it was tinned up.. ran across this thread.
I want to open one of these but I also want to save them.
Oh decisions..

Status
Not open for further replies.