PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

caa55

Lurker
Aug 27, 2015
Hello,
I've discovered I like Virginia's except for the fact that I can't keep them lit. The constant re-lighting has become quite frustrating and makes for a less than enjoyable experience.

I've only tried McClelland's 5100 and 2000 and have the same problem with both. If I go to an OTC burley (SWR etc) I don't have any problems keeping them lit.
So are there any 'tricks' you would recommend to dry the tobacco a bit so I can enjoy the smoke without the constant re-lighting?
Thanks for any suggestions.

chuck

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've found that McClellan and Samuel Gawith require way more drying time than you think. I'd dry it out for several hours. At least.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Yep. One VA I like, for example, takes around 4 hours to dry to my liking.

caa55

Lurker
Aug 27, 2015
Thanks for the response guys but I've got all of one month experience at this. When you say 'dry it out' or 'drying time' how exactly does one go about it?
Remove the tobacco from the container/tin/bag and leave it sitting open in a room or place it in sunlight or ??

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
For a quick dry you can put in under a desk lamp. Depending on the wattage it will dry your tobacco to your liking in no time.....check every 5 minutes and see if it is ready for the pipe. Just the amount for one pipeful, not the whole tin. Good luck

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You can do it Jon11's way, or you can leave some out and check on it periodically. Learning to tell if it's dried enough by touch is the best way, but that takes some time to learn. But, once you get the hang of it, it makes life easier when you light 'em up. Flakes, especially if they have any thickness, hold moisture more than you would think. Always pack the tobacco a little loose, too.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I just take some out and lay it on a sheet of paper.
. Flakes, especially if they have any thickness, hold moisture more than you would think. 
One thing I've learned is if I think it's dry enough, give it another 15-30 minutes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Usually leave mine out overnight. Then, I pack it, and if a bit too dry, I blow warm breath through the pipe to slightly rehydrate it.

When I am in a rush, which is 90% of the time, I just toss a flake or a bowl full into the microwave for 8-12 seconds. It doesn't dry it out, just heats it up a tad, waking up the flavors, but also making it burn a little better. 5100, I keep in a tobacco pouch when I am on a 5100 roll. I like it bone dry, so it drying out in a leather pouch doesn't bother me. But, I think that smoking very slow helps offset some of the reported "fast burn" or lack of flavor. At least for me it does.
But, honestly, I've never had a problem keeping any of these burning right out of a fresh bag. Do you talk or socialize while smoking? Do you keep the pipe in a clench the entire time? I find that distractions that have me taking the pipe out of my mouth makes for many relights. I hate the distraction. My best smokes of these comes from just lighting the pipe, keeping it in a clench, and just working on something as normal, just letting the pipe become a part of me. FVF and some of the other flakes can be frustrating if not dried, but 5100 or any of the McC's bulk Virginias have never been a wet hassle for me. There are so many variables that coule be in effect, the pack, the tamp, the pipe. It's really hard to say. But, once I get my pipe lit, my folks know not to bother me with questions where I'd have to take my pipe out of my mouth, unless it's a real emergency, like someone is on fire or something, ha ha.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It seems that when I have trouble is when I've packed too tightly. I like to keep a flake relatively intact, and because it's been pressed into a cake, it will expand with the heat of the light and burning of the coal and can choke itself if too tightly packed. I keep a few flakes 'out' in covered plastic food savers and they dry out just fine in those.

Getting it just right is always rewarding.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great information guys, thanks. I dry most of the aromatics I smoke, but had not thought about it having a positive effect on the VA's. I have just kept relighting them. The Golden Virginia that is my favorite comes a little on the dry side and when I smoke others and moist VaPer I have just endured it. :roll:

Dec 24, 2012
+ 1 to Cosmic on the microwave. I do this when I'm in a hurry. About 10 seconds and then leave it for a about 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.