PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
<p>First, a bit of background. Unlike most pipe smoker's I've heard, I did not start out with Aros. I wanted to be more sophisticated than that!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Well, there's all kinds of stuff to explore. Mac Baren does a lot of "is this topped?" sort of stuff.
To me, the big bomb in the "it's not an aromatic but it's not pure" is the Brunello from Savinelli. Yum!
Reiner Long Golden Flake is another.
These are virginia blends, nothing like the Danish/German aromatic, nothing like Captain Black.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Well, there's all kinds of stuff to explore. Mac Baren does a lot of "is this topped?" sort of stuff.

Last night I ran across a MacBaren Scottish Blend in my jars and smoked some for the first time in a year or so. It is very lightly topped and has just a light honey-like sweetness that is very good.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Just dilute them. Use a mixture of dark Burley and white Burley, 3:1 to the aromatic, and you will avoid most of the problems of aromatics and still retain that room note that everyone craves.

Erinmore Flake, it will smell horrible, absolutely disgusting in the tin, but it translates to an excellent smoke. It smells like a urinal cake in a backwoods Georgia restroom. But, it will taste like Juicy Fruit gum in the initial char, but as you smoke it, you'd really have to sip slow to get more than just a tobacco flavor, but every now and then that hint of juicy fruit pops up. Plus, it has a wonderful nicotine hit. When I have a tin of Erinmore open, I alternate smokes with LTF all day long. They're a great combo, and compliment each other.

Another would be MacB's Modern Virginia. It's a straight Virginia cased/topped with apricots I believe. It has a deep honey flavor, but it's used lightly to balance well with the tobacco. Grey Havens by McClelland is an excellent topped VaPer, if you want some perique mixed in. Just dry it well, maybe open the tin and let it set with the lid on for a few weeks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I have a tin of Erinmore open, I alternate smokes with LTF all day long.
Hmm... this opens possibilities.
I really loathe the Lakeland Essence, but I really like Conniston Cut Plug. Maybe Erinmore will be a good alternation to that.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Lane limited black rasberry... great flavor and room note. I find it stays lit with no problem, doesn't bite, and for me is a easy all day smoke if I wanted it to be.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Mac Baren Original Choice and Mac Bare Vanilla Creme. Nice hint of sweetness, but you get the tobacco flavour as well...at least I do.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
+10000 to these two:
PS Luxury Twist Flake

McClellands Stave Aged
Also:

McClelland 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake

McClelland 5115 Old World Cake

F&T Cut Virginia Plug (Tough to find)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of good aromatics to choose from, hundreds, maybe thousands. To add to this long list of recommendations: Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Erin Go Braugh, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions! I have a question, though. SP.com doesn't list Reiner Long Golden Flake as an Aromatic, but as a Virginia (no Cavendish?). Is it an Aro? It's also a bit pricey. I'm going to place an order tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.