PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Hey guys,
I usually have some trouble lighting my pipe properly by the end of the bowls or just when I m breaking a pipe in an still working on the 1st 3rd of the bowl. I usually use a bent butane pipe lighter. I think matches would make it even harder. Do I just need a bigger flame?
Thanks,
D

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Disagree, I m not talking about bitterness, lack of tamping or anything mentioned in that post. I just cant reach the tobacco down the last part of the bowl with the flame!

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Also, don't empty the ash on top. Tamp it down a bit, but don't empty it. The flame will go through the ash. I also find a few fast and hard puffs, rather than a long slow draw, will get you there. Lastly, consider picking up some kitchen matches. They're the bigger longer matches and they're great for pipes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I don't know how large a pipe you're using, it could be that you've just got a very deep bowl, but I've had similar problems when my bowl goes out near the bottom. The trick I think is to pack densely, so it smokes straight to the bottom rather than going out forcing it to be re-lit.
Otherwise, you might need a bigger flame, but also tamping to compact the tobacco will help too.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I had to dismantle the pipe lighter to get the flame to be a little bigger but that seems to take care of the problems.
Yeah, pretty deep bowls.
XD

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
If you can't draw (suck) the flame down to the tobacco, you may have a leak somewhere in the stem.

I use nothing but matches indoors, no matter how tall the bowl is. (Large kitchen matches).

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I had to dismantle the pipe lighter to get the flame to be a little bigger but that seems to take care of the problems.
Yeah, pretty deep bowls.
XD

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i for one always try to light the tobacco in the pipe rather than setting fire to the bowl's end - or any end of the pipe for that matter. but then, i never use a lighter, only matches, so maybe you lighter guys have another way to do it.
p.s. with a match i can reach right down to the bottom of the bowl. try doing that with a lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.