PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I was going to post this on the general discussion but felt more suiting for true beginners and for all that are still and wanting to learn which makes all of us. So hear it goes I personally use matches really helps IMO holding the tobaccos flavors, but after watching some reviews on YouTube I did observe some guys just using regular old bic lighters. So leads to this discussion and some great input from all what is best and preferred. Matches? A regular bic? Zippo? Or the low flame pipe lighters?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, this has been discussed here many times but it's always of interest. Like hunter, I use wooden kitchen matches for the charring light then rely on my Zippo pipe lighter. It's always dependable for me.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I prefer matches, but picked up a Zippo pipe lighter a few days ago.
Maybe it's just because it's new, but I find myself reaching for the Zippo more than then the matches. We'll see where I am at with it in a few months though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's been done nearly to death. Over and over and over, ad infinitum! What ever gets you a bit of combustion without damaging the pipe. Bics, Zips, cheap or expensive, all they have to do is provide the heat and be properly directed. Whatever floats your boat and gets the job done to your satisfaction.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
As Warren might agree, optimal lighting depends on the time of day. Generally, you might want center shot, in focus lighting.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Matches whenever possible as I find it easier to control the light. BIC when matches aren't available. Occasionally, when I'm feeling like being fancy, it's either a Dunhill or Dupont lighter. Always moisten the rim with a bit of spit before lighting up. Helps keep the rim from singeing.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Go with what you like minus the Xikar. Just....ugh just pass on those things. Not worth the trouble!"
I have had the Xikar clip lighter mentioned in my post above for over three years, and have not experienced ANY problems with it. It replaced a Colibri clip that worked flawlessly for nearly 10 years.
Sign me satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.