PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have now developed my ritual when lighting a pipe. I think this ritual has been developed after restoring numerous estates and becoming somewhat anal about the condition of the rim of the pipes in my personal collection. Part of my ritual has become the extra time I take in the placement of the cherry in my bowl.
I do the initial chars moving the flame around charring all the tobacco. Then for the real light, I make sure to hold the flame directly in the center of the bowl so as not to take the chance of charring the rim. On some of the larger diameter bowls I have there ends up being an almost inverted cone. I really don't like it when only one side of the bowl is lit.
I know I am over thinking this but does anyone else do this? I feel weird the more I think about it but when I don't do it I am irritated with the pipe and can't get over it until I go to clean the rim after the smoke.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
There is no doubt that a half lit bowl is an annoyance, and i too prefer a very tidy rim. What i do is just smoke as usual and then take a Qtip and clean the bowl off after im done with my smoke. I've never charred any of my rims before..or at least i wouldn't consider it charring. I prefer to use a Bic, which depending on your method of lighting might increase your chances of char(torch lighter). I just figure that any wear i bring to the pipe is a sign that it was mine. If that makes any sense. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if its part of your ritual of lighting a bowl and you enjoy it, hell keep at it. At the end of the day that is what its about anyways. :puffy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Glen, for the same reasons you stated, I do the same thing. I try to use my pipe tool to get the "edge" tobacco inward and evened out when I dump the ash about halfway through the bowl, if I need to. Some times just tamping from the edges with the tamper tilted 45 degrees to angle the tobacco to the center does the trick and I may not even need to dump the ashes till bowls end.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I know what you mean, having cleaned enough estates with charred rims which is a pain, but I have a couple of pipes that I smoke a lot, and no matter how careful I am the rim gets dark after awhile. I'm just leaving it as character color, I love them, they are mine, and I'll never sell them, it will be the problem for the next guy to clean 50 years down the road.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use my Corona Old Boy which has a nice soft flame that I can maneuver well so I can light the entire bowl without charring my rim. If you are trying to light your pipe with a Zippo, then you are taking the chance of scorching your rim. I have one that I only use for outside and I am extremely careful with it. I find it is too big a flame that is not easy to direct. You may want to use matches as those are easy to direct and they have the least amount of temperature.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Coincidentally, or not, this blog on the subject was posted a few minutes ago: http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/lighting-a-pipe/

Status
Not open for further replies.