PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Heya, I was wondering if I could get some help with the lighting procedure.
I feel like I'm doing it correctly, but a light never holds for more than 5-10 minutes. I pack it, then I grab either a match or my lighter. As I light it, I suck in allowing the flame to touch all of the tobacco and then stop lighting. Afterwards, I puff 5-8 times and then relax, sucking every once and a while. Is it possible to make this light last longer? Thanks!

Jan 8, 2013
That's quite normal, actually. Although it's possible to smoke a bowl with no relights, the high majority of the time you'll have to relight at some point. Sometimes multiple relights. Tamping down that initial first light will help, and tamping occasionally when you feel it might be going out will help keep it burning as well. Relights are just part of pipe smoking.
Edit to add: I'm about to relight for the third time, the bowl I'm currently smoking.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Oh, okay. I was smoking a couple bowls maybe 20 minutes ago. Kept it lit for a while, just tamping it down and relighting when needed. I'm glad I'm doing it correct for the most part.
Tamping down that initial first light will help
Forgot to add in that I do do that. When I first started I didn't tamp it down. I went to my cigar shop and they showed me how to do it, so I got that learned almost right away luckily!

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Ah, okay, that's very helpful. Just been doing them separately. Thank you!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What I do that seems to help is after I light the bowl I immediately cover the bowl with my zippo, and puff. Then take it off and puff repeating this two or three times during the first light. On, puff, off puff, Carburetor style.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I currently use a Z Torch lighter or matches (I prefer the match taste). Would it be beneficial to use something else?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Matches are fine, I would avoid a torch lighter for fear of damaging a pipe. Butane lighters and Zippos are my most used.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
torch lighter for fear of damaging a pipe
Weird... My cigar shop sells them for pipe users. It's one of the JetLine lighters.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A relight, or several, is standard. So much so that many consider the first light a sort of preliminary "charring" light, to settle the packed leaf. Usually if you are doing some other activity, you may let the pipe go out just from inattention. On the other hand, once you have some experience, you will have whole bowls on one light. Best not to get too focused on re-lights. It's just part of pipe smoking, no big deal.

Jan 8, 2013
Weird... My cigar shop sells them for pipe users. It's one of the JetLine lighters.
Yeah stay away from torch lighters if you can. Use matches or a soft flame lighter. A Bic will suffice if you have one on hand. You can always get a fancier lighter later. I've seen too many photos of screwed up pipes caused by torch lighters.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Good to know... Now I won't ever use this lighter again! I assume I should steer clear of the Butane Torches used for cigar smoking?

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah. You really just want a soft flame for your pipes. It's more beneficial for the flavor of your tobacco as well. A hotter light is only going to make the tobacco burn hotter to begin with and you will lose flavor. Any soft flame lighter will work. If you want something nicer than a Bic, Zippo pipe lighters are nice, Old Boy style lighters are nice. I usually use matches when at home. But when out and about, I love my Zippo.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Okie dokie, thank you kindly! I'll have to invest some money into a zippo.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I use wooden matches. If the flame does not get too close to my fingers I light, tamp, add more flame. Otherwise I have to use a second match. Fortunately, some of the pipes the last few days have then smoked down into the dottle if not the full way.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Your cigar shop is run by nimrods.
Use a soft flame, like a match, Zippo, or a BIC to light a pipe. Wet the rim with a bit of spit before applying flame to keep from burning the rim. A charring light isn't strictly necessary though for the novice it can be beneficial. Don't worry about relights. It's common to have to relight from time to time. Also, let your tobacco dry for a while before packing. I usually let my tobacco dry until it is nearly bone dry, dry to the touch when squeezed, but still pliant. Dry tobacco offers me the most flavor. That may also help with keeping the burn going. To get the most flavor you want to keep the tobacco simmering at the edge of going out, taking slow sips of the smoke.

May 4, 2015
Vokaa, I'm wondering if you're meaning "torch" when you say "torch."
Does it just LOOK like a torch lighter, but still has a soft flame that looks like a BIC flame? Or are you talking full-on jet-engine looking blue flame torch?
JetLine makes a "torch looking" soft-flame pipe lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.