PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I suppose it is the old curmudgeon in me that refuses to embrace all that modern technology has to offer. I've got an old (and by many standards, an "obsolete") cell phone which I rarely use save for car breakdowns and medical emergencies.
So, no lighters for me. I hate the BIC and all the expensive butane ones just make me shudder.
I use matches every chance I get.
What do you use to light up a bowl.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipes under $100 I use a Bic. $100-$300 my corona. $300+ matches all the way. I do have a Nimrod that looks like a nut and bolt, but its just for nostalgia.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm not an "old curmudgeon" by any standards. I am however a stick match guy. Smoking a pipe is (for me anyway)about slowing down and enjoying the experience of the Pipe, the feel of the briar in my hand, the smell of the tobacco as I load it, that first draw, tamping. I'm a microwave dinner and iPhone guy but when it comes to my pipe smoking I want to slow down and take my time. So yea sick matches.
Plus I seem to get a more controlled and even light or char with a match..

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I used to get Swan matches but they're impossible to find in this area anymore. I can't even find the big strike anywhere kitchen matches, so Old Boy it is and has been for about ten years.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I only smoke outside.
Matches are a pain and make litter, zippos taste nasty so I use a butane lighter. For out and about I use a Imco G55 or Corona pipemaster depending upon where I am, at home I use a Pearl bolbo which is fantastic.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's all about what works for you and what you're happy with.
I'm uncomfortable with a bunch of "strike anywhere" matches in my pocket. (Although, I'm pretty sure I look really cool when striking a match on my Lees.) The Bics and Zippos just seem more convenient. I've got enough junk in my pockets so I don't need a match case. Lighting my cigarette or pipe and then discarding the match, or holding until cool and putting it in my pocket with the accumulated butts seems . . . well, unseemly. Nothing seemly about stuffing one's pockets with butts either, but that's life!
I get satisfactory lights from lighters, matches, glowing sticks from the fire, candles, etc. Lighters are just handier when out and about. Of course, I'm usually smoking for the nicotine not the ritual. My slow, reflective smoking at home can be fairly frenetic also, lighters are my usual choice of ignition.
I want my pipe! And, I want it now!

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
^^^^^^^^

Same here.... Zippo w/Pipe Insert. I do not taste the lighter fluid at all

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Matches until it gets too deep, then Xikar soft-flame. Or a Bic. Doesn't matter much to me other than I obviously don't use my cigar torch.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I'll cull none of them. I'm typically outside on the porch with my hounds when I have a pipe so the breeze or lack thereof determines my light. First choice would be matches when I'm able, followed by a Peterson Old Boy clone, then the Zippo with pipe insert. When The cold drives me to the garage I'll try a hemp wick and candle for the first time. (When ravkesef speaks I listen)

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Zippos now that I've had the guts replacde with pipe inserts. Unless I'm driving, then it's a Djeep (Bic-like) and an old, brylon, or cob pipe.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I used to use matches but now I use a Xikar Pipe Lighter (has pipe tools that pull out of the side like a Swiss army knife) or my Zippo pipe lighter. With the zippo if you light it then wait a couple of seconds you don't get the taste of the fluid, (the new fluid makes a difference) but the pipe insert in the Zippo prevents charring on the rim of your nice briar pipes. Also both lighters have lifetime warranty.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
103ctuq.gif

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Paper book matches in the house. Outside and out and about a BIC, or Zippo Pipe lighter...

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I've been using paper book matches inside and out. If I could find better matches around here (I despise the green tipped Diamonds) I would be using something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.