PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Like many pipe smokers my primary lighter is a Zippo with a pipe insert. I always carry an inexpensive but dependable BIC backup though just in case the fluid runs short. Sort of like a cop on patrol who carries his duty weapon but also his back-up gun just in case. I have found though, that there is a definite purpose for the back up light and I do use it as my primary lighter on specific occasions so I thought I'd share my experience. A Zippo does not go out if dropped. A BIC does not stay lit if it is dropped, hence the purpose of each. While driving I never use the Zippo. I also never use the Zippo for a relight if reclining in my La-Z-Boy lounger. On more than one instance I've accidently fumbled with the Zippo and I've learned to use caution with it although it is a great piece of equipment and it is my primary source of heat. Have any of you men ever dropped your lit Zippo?

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
My main lighter is a Colibri but I carry a cheapy disposable as spare for the same reason,if my main is out of gas.I buy the cheapies for a £1 a pack ( 6 ) in my local £1 shop.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I purchased a Xikar pipe lighter about 6 months back and couldn't be happier with its performance. I use disposable lighters or matches as well.
I have a Xikar cigar lighter and a couple cutters and I can highly recommend their products based on my experience using them.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
I use a Zippo pipe lighter as my only source of heat. I don't drive and haven't dropped the zippo (yet).

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Just bought a Vector pipe insert for my Zippo...... Gonna light up a bowl of CAO Cherry Bomb in a few minutes..... always have a Bic disposable nearby too.......

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
my main lighter is an Old Boy and backup is a pair of jetline lighters one in the truck and one at home.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I own a couple of Zippo's, this one is my favorite. I had Zippo put in a cigar insert, but also recently bought a Vector butane insert. The Vector does a better job lighting the tobacco, but blows out easily. Most of my smoking is outside, so the fluid insert gets a lot of use. Good reminder on dropping lit Zippo! As Rogers Waters/Pink Floyd said, "you like the feel of steel"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Martin, thanks for the heads-up. That really applies to me! I use a Zippo with a gas insert,

and it doesn't go out until the case is shut. I've noticed that as I age, both arthritis and

drying skin have me fumbling around more often because of the shiny smooth lighter case. At

home it's not a problem, but I'm definitely gonna get a BIC for the car. Thanks. :clap:

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Xikar Pipeline, then a Zippo w/ pipe insert.....and a matchbook in the pouch.....just in case.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I am matches all the way getting pretty good at lighting up out doors with them . but am looking at getting a zippo for those windy times

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
photo-47.jpg

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I have owned Zippo's for all my adult life, so I am not bashing them in general. I have my Grandfather's and my Uncle's he carried in vietnam, but the Zippo pipe lighter sucks IMO. I can't light the bottom of a bowl with it. The 14 dollar IMCOs that run on butane have a replaceable flint, an angled flame that you can make as long or short as you want. These work best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.