PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
im just curious, who prefers which, lighters or matches and why? im using redbirds and they work fine for me but im in the habit of losing lighters so a high dollar pipe lighter isnt for me. how bout you guys?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
When I'm at home smoking in the garage or really calm days out on the patio I like wooden matches. If I'm out and about I just use the cheap bics. I read an article somewhere recently or maybe it was a post on here about the different temperature ranges of the various lighters as compared to matches. Something about the matches burn cooler so combust the tobacco at a lower temp resulting in more flavor. I think maybe it's true. I've been using matches alot lately even though it's a bit more work.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
With my meer I use only matches. As far as my briars go if I'm at home matches; out and about lighter.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Butane lighter for me. Nothing against matches, I've used them and have yet to tell the difference between the two.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
This thread has been repeated several times on here the last year.

Doing a search will bring up one or two of them.
lighters for me.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I was half and half until I read that article listed above, now I am mostly matches. I would say ~90%
I have big boxes of strike anywhere kitchen matches at home that I use, when I travel Ill grab a handful, and my zippo with the thunderbird insert. If I have nowhere to strike them, or I run out due to wind or relights ill switch to the lighter.
Personally I do think matches taste better

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoke outside, and can't light a match outdoors to save my life. So, I generally used a lighter all last summer. In the Fall, I moved into my workshop and switched to the match. I do prefer a match now, when I smoke outside with the Zippo and fluid, I can really taste the fluid. The propane (T-bird pipe insert) doesn't have any flavor, but I think the match is just the right level of heat and seems to be kinder to my pipe bowl tops. I also noticed tongue bite disappeared when I made the switch the match. Maybe I got better at packing, but I'm definitely not applying as much heat.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Zippo user here, I used matches for years, but the Zippo works, is easy to carry, and has never let me down.

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
Zippo and Bic lighters for the most part. At work (yes, I can smoke at work), matches aren't practical. When it's windy, nothing beats a Zippo for reliability. At home, I use matches more often.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Ok I understand that using a lighter would ignite the tobacco at a higher temperature, but as soon as the lighter is removed it will burn at its natural burning temperature. So I could understand the first draws while lighting might taste different due to temperature , but after that it should be the same temperature no matter what you lit it with.
I use a Zippo outside in the wind and a butane when I can.
Just wondering is there anyone that sells something nice to carry wooden matches in. I have the giant boxes of Redbird matches but that's not very convenient to carry them iaround in..

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Was a match devotee for a long time, finally switched back to an old Imco pipe lighter - supplemented by a traditional bic. (Sold cases & cases of Arango stick matches at last year's NASPC show - so I guess I am committed to the "lighter lifestyle" now). Seem to prefer this now... Matches certainly held a greatr asthetic appeal, however, the ability to perform a longer continuous charring light with the lighter won me over. I rarely need more than a single relight to finish a bowl, and I'm convinced that the thorough charring & 2nd light has at least something to do with it.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I use bic and matches depending on the weather. But if I can, I will use matches. I do think they lite better, and won't heat the bowl as quickly. Also, it's a great excuse to play with matches. :twisted:

jobacco

Lurker
Apr 3, 2012
I smoke outside so i use lighter, otherwise with the wind matches are a pain in the butt IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.