PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I did a search on this but came up with nothing so please forgive if it has been discussed before. I really like the Corona Old Boy’s, but I just can’t get myself to lay out the money. Of course being retired and living on a pension doesn’t help matters much!
I accidently came across a site called Piplighters.net today and it looks as though they have knock offs of the Old Boy. They sell for $44.95 with free shipping and are backed with a lifetime warranty and a 30 day ‘No Questions’ asked return for refund. I figured what the hell, and just ordered one. Now this is a question that I should have obviously asked before I placed my order, but has anyone had any experience with these lighters?
Pipelighters.jpg

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Nope, but would love to hear a report on the lighter after a few months of use. Best of luck

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nope, but would love to hear a report on the lighter after a few months of use.
Yep, time will indeed be the test. Then again, if it’s crap I might very well know within a few days… or less! Either way, I’ll give my opinion on it after I receive it, and then if it seems to be a decent lighter I’ll try to give a more informative review on it after a wee bit of time and usage.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I would like to see how these things do. I love the old style of them!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
phil67 said:

"... if it’s crap I might very well know within a few days ... "
My experience has been that almost any and every butane lighter will last more than a few days ... but most, even the supposed 'best brands' tend to crap out after a few weeks or maybe months at best. I won't use the lighters that have a wick/flint and run on lighter fluid since, IMO, they taint the tobacco with a lighter fluid taste.
I've got a pipe insert for my various personalized Zippos that I'll use, and while it works pretty well, I'm using a Bic most of the time since it always works quite well and is as inexpensive as any other available option.

w2srg

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
pattersonville ny
I have a yiabo brand lighter that looks the same. Cost 12.00, works fine indoors, butane refillable, had it for almost a year now with no problems. Zippo is still the best I feel for all around use.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I had bought one of these knock off Old Boy lighters from Briar Bid awhile back, the lighter looked good and worked for 4 months. Pipelighters.net, I have emailed them about a lighter over a month ago, with no reply.

I will not order from them till they can at least answer an email from me.

You can try one from Ebay as I might end up doing, same lighter from the same place. China.

I might have better luck with them answering an email from me.

I have seen a person from pipelighters.net ( pretty sure it's them ) appear once in awhile on the pipe boards trying to sell the lighters, then they disappear. Just saying.

So if you can get an answer from them, please let us know how it worked out.

I would not send money till I have a reply from them.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I hope your lighter works flawlessly for a very long time. Knowing what I know after being fooled by false economy, I would recommend this. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple of packages of what ever stick matches are available to you locally. Use the matches and save your money until you can pick up an Old Boy. Use the best butane you can get and enjoy years of service from a functioning piece of affordable art.
In my car, I keep a box of wooden matches with a Zippo with the pipe chimney. Match for false light and the Zippo there after. Prices for Zippos, online vary widely. Several of the larger lighter sellers have eBay stores. For the economical lighter, my best success has come with the L11 model from Lotus. These seem to run about $40.00. Vertigo, made by Lotuse, makes some $20.00 and seem to be good for a year's service. I use Lotus brand fuel which is available at my local B&M.
Mike S.

Dec 24, 2012
I have 2 old boys and a Peterson lighter. They all work great but don't get used a lot. Why? Because I love my IM Corona Pipemaster. This thing has been dropped a hundred times and has worked flawlessly for about 15 months now. I also love the way you can manoeuvre it right into the bowl much better than an Old Boy.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=54362

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Zippo with pipe insert. Zippo fluid. Let it burn a second or two before drawing. Never tasted the fluid. Only problem is evaporation. Fill it every few days. If it ever has a problem, Zippo will fix or replace it free for lifetime.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
The IM Corona Pipemaster looks good and sounds good.

I have an Old Boy that I love and is very reliable.

I also have 2 Tsubota Pearl lighters that work well also.

The lighter I was referring to was the Old Boy knock off ( pictured above ), it was not reliable.

I did want to replace it from pipelighters.net in the hopes that the one I had was a dud.

My comments were in regards to the poor customer service from them.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The IM Corona Pipemaster looks good and sounds good.

I have an Old Boy that I love and is very reliable.

I also have 2 Tsubota Pearl lighters that work well also.

The lighter I was referring to was the Old Boy knock off ( pictured above ), it was not reliable.

I did want to replace it from pipelighters.net in the hopes that the one I had was a dud.

My comments were in regards to the poor customer service from them.

So, you have one from Pipemasters.net and it gave out. I'm sorry to hear that, and from what you related, their customer service seems to be nonexistent. As I said in my OP I placed an order for one last night (Saturday) and received the usual confirmation email from both them and PayPal.
Today (Sunday), much to my surprise, I received an email from them with my Tracking Number and also a link to it! However, it was a totally bogus number which made absolutely no sense whatsoever and lead me to the Google computer page! HERE]
I immediately sent them an email via their contact page and told them I if I do not receive a proper Tracking Number by Monday that I want an immediate refund to my PayPal account. Well, we shall see, and if it turns out that if they ripped me off I'll most certainly notify everyone here. Wish me luck, and I'll keep you updated. ;)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have an Old Boy, Zippos, a "Made in China", and Djeeps.
The Djeeps are a good reliable, cheap lighter, (hate the pink one) not sold in my area, so I went to ebay.

The Old Boy goes out if the dog farts.

The Zippos go thru fluid like crazy, but I do like the pipe insert.

The "Made in China" is like a flame thrower that for some reason can't be adjusted down.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
The Old Boy goes out if the dog farts. LOL!!!!! That is funny and sadly so true.
Phil67, I don't have the IM Corona Pipemaster, I do however like the sounds and looks of it.

I hope it works out for you with pipelighters.net.

That is the website I had emailed, they did not reply. So I would not trust them

with my money till they can at least answer my questions.

The " Old Boy Knock Off Pipe ", is the same one as you have in your pic.

That lighter died a fast death, and I am positive it is from the same people

at pipelighters.net. They had one for sale awhile back on Briar Bid, I bought

it, and regret it.

Wooden matches are in my stock up. LOL!!!

Good luck.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Much to my surprise I received a response from them this morning as to the Tracking Number they gave me. They apologized and also sent me the correct Priority Mail Tracking Number. When I receive it I'll give my honest opinion of it, and then wait to see how long it lasts. If by chance it turns out to be crap I'll certainly make everyone here aware of it.
Other than that, I use wooden matches more often than not, but what with the relights (I'm relatively new to smoking a pipe other than my feeble attempts at it about 35 years ago) they seem to get a tad messy piling up in the ashtray and I like the idea of a subtle, but yet directional flame offered by a pipe lighter. ;)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Get a Corona and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.