Lighter Question

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by peteguy
  • Latest reply from ithelouniverse
  1. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pardon my ignorance with the correct terms if I mess them up.

I call the zippo/bic style lighters the thumb manglers. The ones where you rotate the little wheel with the gouges that hurts my thumb ( yes I am a wuss).

Is there a "push down a nice comfortable button" type of lighter out there that is worth a damn or cheap enough that I can buy 10 and have spares if they break?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd think most of the so-called "electronic lighters" would fit the bill...you can google it. Many of those tend to be 'torch' lighters though which you don't want, so just beware of that.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IM Corona Pipemaster looks to be a good lighter and the reviews are excellent. I think it would qualify for the "worth a damn" department but not the latter.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/lighters/76532/vertigo-puffer-lighter/#p-136012

I have one and a back up. So far so good.

Jason
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know about the Pipemaster. Does anyone have any input on reliability? Are they as well thought of as the Old Boy? If not maybe that vertigo x4 or 5 is the answer to my prayers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

I'm with Voorhees. I have a "puffer vertigo lighter" with the tools build in the side. Really like it. Uses a bit more fuel than I expected but that is a small caveat. Around $15.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Piezo Electric ignition type you're speaking of are, in general, less reliable than a flint based lighters IMHO. I have had decent results with a Lotus L11 lighter which is easy to light, has a nice soft flame and lasted me over 6 yrs. I see them on eBay for $40.00 shipped. I think that is an acceptable price-value in a pipe lighter.

Mike S.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would recommend the Pipe Master. My first lasted a good 15 years and needs sent in. I picked up a second one and its been working just fine for about a year I guess. Large fuel tank and built in tamp. The regular Old Boy uses a flint wheel so you might have an issue with that. If you wanted to spend the money, I would definitely recommend the Pipe Master.

Vertigo lighters are also good. I've had for five or so years. Built in tamp and works like a charm. I just prefer the Pipe Master due to its capacity.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried several different lighters, I really love my xicar, but as you said it has the thumb mangler.
    No matter how much I like certain lighters, I always go back to matches!

If you do find a cool, easy to use lighter with a push button, please do share it!

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, ebnash, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy, ashdigger