Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lighter, Peterson or Corona Old Boy

(48 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by olewaylon
  • Latest reply from woodsroad
  1. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking I'll go with the tried and true Corona but damn those Peterson's are sexy. What you guys think?

http://www.4noggins.com/lighters.aspx

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've wondered that myself. I saw when Peterson started their Old Boy style last year but I haven't heard anything on how they perform. If they're as reliable as a Corona or not.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. ghelp

ghelp

Login to Send PM

I went with a Corona after many tries with other brands.
    Ya can;t go wrong with a Corona.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The decision for me is an easy one. It comes down to two things. Price as always has to be in line with quality. The second is repair. All pipe lighter I have used save the throw away BICs require maintanance at some point so who charges the most to get it repaired? What is the warranty. IM Corona Old Boys can be repaired for $9.00 and for a $150 dollar investment that's not bad. Ask yourself if it breaks where do I have to send it. If it's going to Ireland you will be using your bic for some time before you get your fancy lighter back. I have learned the hard way that a fancy lighter is an expensive paper weight if you can't fix it. That said I love my old boy. Course mine cost me nothing since it was a gift.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. 4noggins

4noggins

Login to Send PM

Maybe this will help:

Peterson lighters come with a 5 year warranty covering manufacturers defects. Old Boy's have a 2 year warranty. If any warranty work is needed, a pre-paid shipping label will be sent to you and the lighter is shipped to California for repair. Upon completion, it's shipped back to you. No cost whatsoever to the customer. For repairs after the expiration of the warranty, you can send to CA and the cost of repairs and shipping is on you.

Old Boy = 2year warranty
    Peterson = 5 year warranty

Capice??

Rich Gottlieb
    4noggins.com

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up an Old Boy (I have a Tsubota Pearl EDDIE too, which I love). I am having a problem filling it up. It seems like either the nozzle is too small or too big on my butane. I have Xikar and Colobri but when I insert it, I get a lot of spray. For sure the problem is how I am doing this but I dont have the problem with any other lighter.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Old Boy is the best pipe lighter I have owned and it takes a beating. I don't know who makes Peterson and I don't know anyone who owns one. I know tons of guys who love their Old Boy's. Whatever you do, never buy a Lotus or Vector pipe lighter, both suck in my opinion.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  8. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

*1 w/Harris

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well there you go Rich makes the decision easier. Now it's just a question of pricing. I know that IM Corona have made improvements to the newer pipe lighters. Those improvements however had added some weight. If you decide to go with the Peterson's let us know what you think!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

well even though I like the looks of the Peterson better and the warranty sounds good I had to go with the Old Boy. sorry to say I wont be able to review the Pete flame.

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You won't be sorry I really like mine. Even after the kids took it apart at Christmas to figure out how it worked and couldn't put it back together.

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Expensive lighters are nice bling items and cute toys, but the reality of life is a BiC, a dJeep, or a match work just as well and if you lose the BiC, or someone Bogart's it, you're not out $100+.

And lets face it, the 2 year warranty and the 5 year warranty are a joke -- we're talking over $100 here! Jeech.

I've got a bunch expensive lighters that I've given up on. They're nice and all, but come on LOL.

If Xikar comes out with a pipe lighter I like, I'll "trade" one of my Xikars that went belly up I have in the drawer -- Xikars are guaranteed for life, no questions asked -- and if you take it to a Xikar dealer, they are required to take your crapped out Xikar and replace it, free. BUt I've done that dance with Xikar a few times so I'll sit this one out until Xikar comes out with a lighter suitable to my needs.

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

Whoa Roth way to rain on my parade! :). just kidding. obviously that is true of many things including expemsive pipes that smoke much the same way as $35 basket pipes will. They way I see it is when I use a single tool so often and for a thing I enjoy so much, why not do it with something that i enjoy the look and feel of. Pipe smoking is a truely indulgent part of my day and whats $110 bucks in the grand scheme of my favorite activity. plus i hate striking bics.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hehe, OK. $100 is about two pounds of bulk tobacco. Oh and did you check out the Zippos? American made, guaranteed for life, $15-$30.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

I have a Zippo and wouldn't be without one. However, I'm with olewaylon on this one. In addition to the Zippo, which is the only thing worth having when outside, I have a Xikar Resource and I will probably buy an Old Boy one day just because I like the look and feel of them. Variety is good in all things (except perhaps for wives). I guess I'm getting a case of LAD!

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  16. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

Roth, you got me there. zippos are pretty great and I do own one for outside of my den. Whats more, they are much like the McDonald's dollar menu. I don't know how they have been able to keep the prices so low for all of these years.

Radio, there is nothing wrong with a LAD its the WAD you gotta look out for....haha

Posted 6 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

Radio
    +1 on the Xikar resource I like mine. I still have my zippo pipe lighter as well as a couple of Djeeps as Roth mentioned.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Old Boy is the best pipe lighter I have owned and it takes a beating.

I couldn't agree with this more. I was hesitant at first to drop $100+ on a lighter, but I'm glad I did. I'm not a match guy so the difference to me in using the Old Boy vs a Bic or a Zippo was like night and day. It's one of those things where, once you get one, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a number of serviceable lighters, but it is hard to beat a Corona.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a butane fueled nimrod style insert for my zippo for $12. I get to have all the coolness of a nimrod commander without the lighter fluid taste.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I got both the IM corona and the Peterson lighter. The Peterson lighter is a junk.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

haja, If you're referring to the Peterson Zippo, I'd be rather surprised that it's "junk". Zippo makes some of the most reliable lighters if they are maintained properly. I'm referring to the Zippos with the pipe lighter inserts, not the regular Zippo, of which I have no frame of reference. If your Peterson lighter is, in fact, a Zippo from Pennsylvania, I urge you to send it to the Zippo factory to be repaired as it has a lifetime warranty, if I recall correctly.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Peterson is well into its second year with nary a stumble. My only caveat is, use quality butane and soft flints. I recommend this for any lighter. Except of course Zippo, they seem to be built for the harder, cheaper flints.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have bought Peterson's equivalent of the Old Boy and I have been very disappointed with it. With their pipes as well. I am glad some have had good experiences with both the pipes and lighter but it has not been my case.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. carytobacco

carytobacco

Banned

Login to Send PM

Go with the Corona.

PipeAndLeaf.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

haja, If you're referring to the Peterson Zippo, I'd be rather surprised that it's "junk".

And Haja bagged himself a big one.

Today's Troll's Fishing for Attention prize goes to Jason, as the first fish reeled in on the continuing epic Haja lighter Odyssey.

Congrats old man, you win an all expense paid trip to the Bermuda Triangle or Irondequoit, whichever is closer!

Haja, you didn't try to clean that Peterson with any mysterious phlostigon fluids did you?

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Irondequoit is closer, although it's just as easy to "disappear" in certain parts of it as it is in the Bermuda Triangle.

-Jason

P.S.- In my mind, the jury's still out on the member in question. They could easily have a language barrier that is difficult to cross or you could be right that they are indeed a troll. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

P.P.S.- Years ago a member came on asking what we use to sanitize our bowls. After the usual answers, they responded back that in China (where this member was posting from), they use garlic juice. It turns my stomach every time I think about it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am trying to get rid of my Peterson lighter. Until now no taker.

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haja, I will buy your Peterson lighter. PM me.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought the blue Peterson lighter. The lighter works fine, but the paint chips off very easily.

Bo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  31. puffdoggie

puffdoggie

Login to Send PM

My answer is the same every time this comes up. ZIPPO! Pls search for this before bringing this topic up again he said with tongue firmly placed in cheek!

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I love the hell outta my Corona Old Boy.
    I was skeptical at first due to cost, but it's turned out to be totally worth the investment,
    built like a tank.

I kinda wanted a Pipemaster too, but didn't wanna get another expensive lighter, but one just kinda fell into my lap, it shows that with a little patience and diligent searching you can find a real good deal, although the seller said it was NIB it had obviously been used, but it's in great shape and works like a champ...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corona-Cigar-lighter-/261595615705?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=rOtaurHG%252FDuH%252BOYJ%252BUSWzZhH8mo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

On the oddball front,
    somehow I came across a DLI Flintless tabletop lighter, I loved the ingenious design and it actually works pretty damn great...
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anybody-here-ever-use-an-electromatch-to-light-their-pipe
    :
    :
    I also have a Colibri Pipette table lighter that's okay, but not great --- it looks cool though.

And, an old Sarome like this which has been great, I love the ergonomic design.

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This are old design. off cos they are good. But the world are advancing.
    So now I prefer 1 step operation lighter. just 1 click and I get the flame.
    Better still a wind proof lighter. So I can bring it any where.
    Dunhill is stuck with this old design for century and they call it style.
    I am getting the Lotus ligher. It have soft flame and touch flame together.
    There is a China look alike for $12.hmmm who copy who?

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This is my home Zippo lighter with Thunderbird torch insert. I got the soft flame insert also.
    It is seating in the toilet.

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dupont just came out from the century old traditional flint with Xtend and MaxiJet lighter.
    Take note guys. unless you yourself are old and antique. Then I got nothing to say.

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. iajaffe

iajaffe

Login to Send PM

I highly recommend the Old Boy. I think the edge it has over the Peterson is the built in tamper. Recently I dropped and damaged my Old Boy and decided to try a Zippo with pipe insert. VERY impressed. No taste. Able to light the bottom of the bowl. Can handle drop after drop. And it's wind proof. I'm a happy smoker.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dupe.

La te dah de dah...

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rock with my Zippo, don't have a Old Boy but I would like to get one one day. Like iajaffe said the Zippos can take quite a few falls. I will either use my Zippo, matches while in my house, or the Dunhill I picked up at an antique store.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 4 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

if you are very old get the old boys. if not venture into new technology.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My new IM corona Aero . it is a small touch and wind proof.
    It does work well with pipes, hmmmm
    It is the cheapest Corona that I came across because other selling
    it at double the price.

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

And so comes the end of an era.

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh no, he's gone! What the heck am I going to do with all these highly-rated Chinese lighters, now?

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You can start a thread and post them all!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Hhhhhaaaaaajjjjjjaaaaaa!!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ummmm, Haja is no more. I see that the powers that be have baninated him to the netherlands of being an anonimoose.

The sparkle and wonder has left my pipe magazine world. No more lighter threads that I would await with baited breath. No more collections of expensive and extravagant pipes that left peckinpahaja in awe. Remind me to stop eating anchovies...

I fear that I am next to enter the cornfield and become an anonimoose. Oh, the humanity...

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbw64

Login to Send PM

I do not know about How the Corona is made, but the Japanese hand make and assemble each piece of the Peterson. Lights every time, not some times but every time. A Bic....ha ha, lights some times, runs out of fuel in a couple days, toss it. Matches stink, suck up the Zippo High Octane..No thanks. I will stick with something that works. I have a drawer full of dead lighters, Including the Zippo butane.
    Yea, you do not have to spend that much on a lighter but if you live to be 65+ you will spend a lot on junk lighters and matches, zippo fuel. Buy a lighter that works and is designed to work every time and be happy. How much do pipes cost? A corn cobb is a couple bucks, but a good pipe is a lifetime of pleasure. Get a lighter that is designed to last and last.
    This is Peterson of Dublin not Peterson of Wally world.

It takes a lot of guts to be anonymous and post.

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"the Japanese hand make and assemble each piece of the Peterson."

Uh....doubt that. Got a cite?

I have a plethora of lighters: Old Boy's, Dunhill Rollalite and Rollagas, Zippos, several old swing-arm lighters. I can honestly say that the most reliable lighter is the Bic. It's not my favorite lighter, but it is the most reliable. it's the lighter that i use when the others stop working.

"It takes a lot of guts to be anonymous and post."
    Mostly, it just takes getting booted from this forum. Once you get the axe, your name ceases to exist. Like Voldemort.

Oh, and congrats on your first post!

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newportpipe, danimalia, agnosticpipe, docrameous, cowboythunder, jiminks, armonts