PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Are there "dirtier" lighter fluids than others? I use Ronsonol, and the Zippo chimney turns black in a day. Suggestions?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The chimney will turn black no matter what lighter fluid you use. Soot is the product of incomplete combustion.
If you want cleaner burning you'll need to switch to the butane insert for zippos

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black chimneys are part and parcel with naptha fuel lighters. You can clean them with a Q-tip soaked with the naptha fuel, but it will still blacken.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've tried the butane inserts, but found the Thunderbird too much trouble to get to work properly. Is there another butane inse rt you could recommend?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I recall reading somewhere that the addition of a small amount of ethanol (e.g., 190 proof Everclear which contains over 90%) to lighter fluid helped to improve both its ignition and combustion properties. Perhaps this might help solve the carbon build-up problem in Zippo chimneys?

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I love the Thunderbird insert in my old Zippo. There is a little screw in the bottom to adjust the flame and it lights every time. The only problem is that the fuel chamber is small and it needs to be refilled fairly often. If I didn't smoke so many bowls a day that would be less of a problem. Twice a week does it. Look on Amazon for a couple of brands if you don't like Thunderbird. Be sure you get one with a soft flame that goes out the side.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm just curious, does the black build up bother people due to the looks of it or is it an other reason? I alway just assumed that was part of owning a zippo.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I have the Z-Plus lighter insert it takes butane fuel. I have owned it for about three years and it has never failed to light.
zpplus-pipe-1000.png

I believe I paid eighteen dollars for it.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I have a Z-plus insert as well which is awesome, it's my edc lately along w a little Tsuge Drew Estate gadget. Works better than lighters many times the price. I have the soft flame pipe and single jet torch one as well. The pipe insert came in a hearth and home "Fippo" if you will for less than the insert alone on sale from a fine store in Bethlehem, PA that will remain nameless.

The thunderbird I believe is a different product made by Vector, a company whos lighters have given me endless problems. Mb bad luck idk.

Lastly, recently I picked up a butane bleeding tool with a vent which actually works better than a screwdriver or pen. The gas needs to be completely drained before filling to achieve maximum fill. I find the capacity of the z plus large even using a few times a day and the whole thing is clear so its very easy to slide it out and see the level.

As for the soot which still seems to form even w the butane, but not to the extent of naptha, every So often I use an alchohol prep on it and it looks like new.

I like the classic insert alot but the naptha hurts my throat and the taste certinly doesn't enhance the tobacco. Really I prefer hemp wick or matches altogether but theyre a pain outside where I ussualy smoke.

dell134

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Ive had no problems with the "zippo" brand fluid. When I used Ronsonol my lighter turned black. But that's my experience.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I got a "Flippo" with a butane insert as a freebie when I ordered something from P&C and really liked it. Since then I have bought a couple of the Thunderbird inserts from Amazon and converted my old Zippos to them. I have not had a problem with the T-birds. I do vent them prior to refilling which helps.

I also picked up a 10-pack of Clipper lighters for $12 and have distributed them in my car, pipe bag, pocket, etc. and like them fine. I've never used one before but like the idea that you can replace the flint and refill them. I tend to lose lighters before I wear them out so they should last me a long time.

One of these days I will turn my recliner upside down and no doubt a rain of old lighters and pipe nails will come falling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.