PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoelf

Lurker
Aug 7, 2014
I just ordered some burley samples, and are very much looking forward to them arriving, but I was wondering what the best progression might be when trying them out. The pack contains three tins of varying strengths. Last time I tried a sampler I started with the heavier ones. That was mostly because I am a (relatively) new pipe smoker and have had difficulties tasting the tobacco, but over the summer my taste buds and techniques have developed significantly. Hence I was wondering if you guys have any advice for how to approach this while avoiding any one overshadowing the other, or if I am simply problematizing a non-existent issue.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
My decision would be light to heavy, to get my palate prepared for the heavier blend.
+1
However, I wouldn't smoke them close together, maybe not even same day. I'd have multiple bowls of the lightest today, take good notes. Same with medium tomorrow and heavy next day.
But that's me and YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think a long-time pipe smoker can flip a coin. The strongest blend isn't going to surprise him, and the milder blends won't seem better or worse for the order in which they're smoked. New pipe smokers often like to start light, to get their feet wet, and proceed to stronger blends. In your case, since you aren't tasting too much to start with, I think you can play it by ear. Why not start in the middle and see which direction you'd like to go?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
As with various wines during a nice dinner, light to heavy is your best bet progression to ensure your palette stays in shape.
Makes sense to me...

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Though the exuberance of new blends often takes over, forcing us to try every new (to us) blend in quick succession, I find that it takes me some time for my taste buds to acclimate. I'd smoke one blend over the course of a few days -- at least 6 bowls, probably more -- and then move on to the next. Give each one a chance to reveal some of its nuances and its true character. Since you are giving each one its due, it matters less what order you choose.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I agree with those who have stated light to heavy. Also, if you are new to pipe and cigar smoking, your palate will be developing over the next couple years, so expect some changes to occur in how you perceive flavor notes. You may at some point want to go back and revisit a particular blend, especially one that you initially perceived as one dimensional.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
When I do whisky tastings I always go lightest to heaviest. The really heavy stuff impact the sensory system so much that the lighter, perhaps more subtle, nuances become virtually undetectable.

smoelf

Lurker
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for all the answers. It seems I had the right notion that I'm making it more complicated than it seemed, if the progression is most important if you smoke them back to back, which was never my intention (Though I can see I wasn't clear about that). I started with the medium Classic Burley Kake, and will probably try the lighter one when I've gone through more of the tin. :puffy:
Start with the one with the coolest name.

I like your method :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wine tastings usually go from light to heavy. However, they usually happen all within an hour or two. I'm not sure experienced smokers have to follow this format trying different blends. It's good for new smokers, however, to not start with the strong stuff and find it unpleasant. Anything you don't like, jar and age. You might come back to it and find your "long lost love." Taste develops over time and changes decisively. This is another reason to buy in measured quantities, even when you really like something. You could end up with five pounds of something you enjoyed but are definitely done with.

smoelf

Lurker
Aug 7, 2014
Absolutely. It'll probably be a good long while before I start buying in bulk, just to avoid that. When I got the last sampler I started with Nightcap, and while it wasn't unpleasant I definitely got more enjoyment out of the milder ones. I look forward to trying Nightcap again sometime in the future and see if my impression has changed, though for the time being I'll be enjoying the burleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.