PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Any suggestions for very light briars besides the Featherweight line by Stanwell? Not looking for cobs, I know they are light. Was wondering about briars under 1.5 or so.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Light weight is one of the reasons I've liked my Moretti pipes. They smoke great as well. To be sure, not all his pipes are light as you prefer but a number are in that range.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
SPC's pipe locator has a weight filter. These are 1-1.5 ounces.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?weight=1&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In case You're looking for classic shapes,there is one web shop located in France specializing in selling those type of pipes You can find wide range of various models under the section 'Pipes de St Claude'yet they do ship abroad. Pipe.Fr /La Pipe Rit

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If budget is not an issue, here are some examples from non-factory carvers.
Tom Eltang makes some of the best featherweight pipes on the planet. He's kinda known for that niche, among other great talents.
Scottie Persal, pencil shank pipes, also worth a solid look.
Nate King Prince shapes are very light weight.
Or use the smokingpipes.com PipeLocator feature. Example here, all pipes less than 1 oz (

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/the-pipe-locator.cfm?weight=-1&sortOpt=default&displayNum=24
Here's the link for light weight pipes

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I VERY much like my Corallo di mare. I have a poker and a Canadian and they are super light.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd sure look at the various versions of unfinished pipes, thought they do darken as they 'finish' themselves. I like Savinelli's series of Oscar Lucite pipes, with no filter and a good array of shapes. The are orange stain with light stems. Nording does some light finish pipes, though some verge on unfinished, but they are attractive. Apparently, darker finishes sell better, but with some shopping, you can find some snappy lighter finish pipes.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I don't believe it's made any more, & no idea what the odds are of one showing up in estate listings, but at one time GBD made a small, very light (.5 oz) pipe called the Ladybird. You could try checking one of those out if available. It was designed as a pipe for women (& even came with a flowered pouch, believe it or not!), but was also useful for men with dentures or other conditions that put a standard pipe out of bounds. Admittedly small, it was good for short smokes, but if weight is your main litmus test, half an ounce is pretty good stuff. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops. I was talking finish, not weight. If you don't mind a small bowl, which can give a full-length smoke with flake/plug/coin, the French pipe Ewa, offered by Iwan Ries, has some nice Group 2 pipes, very light weight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shop at retailers that list the weights of the pipes, if you can't shop in person at a B&M. For a while, I bought several Johs pipes from Iwan Ries which were uncannily light weight. Mogen Johansen had sourced some extra light briar so you had a full-size Group 4 that was unusually light.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
If you really want light, Chris just released an EDC style pipe. One piece briar that is 0.5 ounces. No plastic or rubber stem, just one tiny piece of briar, intended to be clenched and smoked as is. It is getting great reviews and is a good everyday pipe that you can tuck in your change pocket. One Anse

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Al Pascia filters work too...
https://www.alpascia.com/pipes/p/find/?filter=---1----

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Length is also a factor. Besides the fact that a short pipe has less wood which makes it lighter, simple physics dictate that a short pipe is easier on the jaw. For that reason, all of my "work" pipes are 5" or less because I have to clench while smoking at my desk.
Russ

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah, these are great suggestions. Will let you know what I come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.