PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Hello all. I have recently moved from Sacramento to San Jose. To a complex that does not allow smoking in my apartment or anywhere on the grounds. This has greatly reduced my smoking. Not to my benefit. There was something so "king of the world" to sit in my living room and casually puff away when ever I wanted. I only smoked 1-2 times a week as it was.
Now I take walks with the dogs and smoke on the go. I have started to ignore my heavier pipes as I need to clench now. I still get some relaxation, but not as much.
I pass a guy who sits on a bench a few times a week smoking a cigar. I couldn't imagine being forced to be outside for hours smoking a big stick like he does.
With home ownership dropping and renting booming I do not see a happy end for smoking in general.
Thank you for listening to my bitch and moan fest. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, man, that's a drag. I am looking for a new place in the Bay Area, and the ability to smoke in my home or on a balcony/patio is a must-have for me. Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find. On the other hand, San Jose has some good tobacco shops. And of course, it's like 70 degrees right now. Have you been to Mission Pipe yet? I like that place. West Coast Cigars is nice if you smoke sticks.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Mission Pipe is nice. I'm trying to make it to Edwards. They have a pipe club first Sunday of the month.
You'd think with the rent out here you could do what you want. My rent is over 4 times my mortgage in Sacramento!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There should be a pent-up market for pipe and cigar lounges. What's needed is a low overhead rental out of the weather but perhaps on an outdoor deck. The proprietor would probably have to have some other income from it like a beverage concession, probably soft drinks and tea (alcohol gets into a whole legal snaggle). A modest cover would provide other revenue. Maybe this could be a sub-let at marinas, sporting goods shops, maybe some bars. But California is a tough state for smokers in a tough time for smokers. Still, it's a big state with a lot of outdoors and mostly moderate climate.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
West Coast Cigars and Mission Pipe both have patios in addition to the indoor lounges. I always buy something when I go, but I don't know if they have a minimum purchase or what to use the lounges. I didn't know there was a pipe club in the area!
I really like mso's idea for a kind of smoker's clubhouse. They could sell refreshments and the like, and a reasonable cover charge for daily use. It's a great idea, really.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Welcome to San Jose neighbor! If you are looking for some tins with nice age on them check out Smokers Paridise on Union. They let you load a bowl to try from bulk and smoke in the shop. It's a funky small place run by very nice people.
What area are you guys living in? I live in South San Jose. If you are looking for an old school burger place the burger pit is a local gem!
http://www.theburgerpit.com

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Edwards has a pipe club by the way. I can never get to it due to schedule conflicts.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I live in Fremont myself. I'm looking to move back to Oakland. I'd love to check out the pipe club. Being a new smoker, I think it would be a great way to learn.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I'm up at the top of the valley by the 49er stadium.
It just reminds me of taxes. Of course I am going to fudge some numbers to get a better outcome. Taking my money does that to me. Same thing here. Of course I am going to try to figure out a way to smoke and not get caught in my apartment.
They apply the squeeze and I find a way out.
If any of you want to meet I will definitely be at the next meeting at Edwards. March 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.