PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Can someone point me to a licorice tobacco? I thought I bought some in the past but they didn't taste like licorice???

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Altadis' Count Pulaski has a fairly strong anise (licorice) flavor. It's an "English" blend though, very spicy.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Arthur is right. That's what I thought about when I read your post.

You could also try one of these:

Licorice%20Pipes.JPG

Just kidding of course.

They melt when you light them. :D

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
I received a sample of "Great Outdoors" by Sutliff Tobacco Company (actually Altadis). Although not a large sample I did notice a licorice flavoring on and off through several pipefuls.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Many good burley blends have anise extract added to sweeten them and smooth out the harshness of straight burley. Licorice is supposedly the second sweetest substance known to man I have read. I won't comment on the sweetest substance :P

As to the burley or tobacco with the highest content of anise flavoring I would like to know myself.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Uhle's "Crushed White Burley" has a licorice taste to it. I found this out last year when I too went on a licorice tobacco quest and they were one of the few blenders that made that sort of thing.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Merryval Likrish

Introduced in late 1988 onto the world market. Smells of heavy Liquorice, tastes of heavy Liquorice and the aroma is a knock-out.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Blackpool is a favorite, but I get more of the molasses character of black licorice rather than the anise character.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Years ago I ordered a licorice flovored bulk tobacco on a regular basis from a smoke shop in Michigan.I probably smoked a couple pounds a year.It smoked just a tad hot.It worked well though in a canadian pipe.The extra length seemed to help cool the smoke a bit.Sadly though that smoke shop closed,and I haven't found another place to get the tobacco.Needless to say I wish I could.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
This was very much like you are describing as well. Not a big fan of it myself.
http://www.marscigars.com/hearthandhome-ambassadorsblend-1-1.aspx

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake.
Not quite an aromatic, however - the sweet licorice casing compliments the dark Virginia Burley combination very well, however. It is the first blend where I have been able to detect licorice without question.
I believe that Sail Green has some licorice, as well.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+2 on Blackpool. I have yet to find a better tobacco with a licorice flavor. The leaf used is very good as well, so you do not end up with a goopy mess at the bottom of the bowl. Just let it dry for a bit before smoking, its pretty moist right out of the bag.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i think that gawith hoggarths dark flake scented has licorice, then i think SWR regular otc use to have licorice on it. hope this helps you sir.
mike.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Old thread buy why start a new one?
Blackpool and woodsridge are both in stock at lj peretti at the moment.
http://www.ljperetti.com/tobacco-cat/esoterica.html

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
This is how I get my licorice fix and it's not from tobacco. Henri Badouin Pastis.....one part Henri, two parts water and two ice cubes. It's the best!!!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Blackpool and Woodbridge are both in stock
I always wonder how you guys find these old threads...a simple search?
I have a bag of each of these coming...the flavor isn't supposed to be very strong, according to the description.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah you just need to search estorica cup o joes etc.. Plus have a good memory

Status
Not open for further replies.