Licorice, Sambuca, Anise, Ouzo Flavored Aromatic?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
With Ramsgate and Blackpool difficult to acquire, do you know any other available blends that have this flavor? Preferably stronger than Blackpool and Ramsgate.
I am tempted to get some of Paul Olsen's "Lakrids" but it's like $35 for 100gs (including shipping from Denmark).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stokkebye's Sambuca, Mixture 79, and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Licorice.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I picked up some hints in Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky, but I only smoked it once so I can't be an authoritative voice. Perhaps someone who smokes it regularly might be able to confirm that?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
You could brew your own too... Grab some burley-Virginia blend, add ouzo, dry to a reasonable moisture level, repeat 3 or 4 times, let it rest for a month or so, add some perique and maybe some izmer (maybe 5 and 2 percent by weight, respectively) and give it a whirl after another month of rest.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
lightmybriar:

Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky has noticeable licorice & molasses flavoring, more-so in the tin-note than the taste. To me it is reminiscent of Jaegermeister Liquor or the old Vick's Formula 44 Cough Syrup.

It is one of my activity tobaccos, smoked in a medium Oom Paul pipe which is a good jaw-hanger for outside tasks.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Why not try mixing tobacco, possibly Virginia, with anise. You should be able to buy dried stars of anise at your local spice shop, just mince it and mix with your tobacco. Never tried this, but given the strong scent of anise, it should work ... just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.