PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Just purchased this interesting pipe. Says its early 1900's. I wonder how they knew?
An interesting bit of history, and something of a forerunner to pipes like the Falcon, this pipe sports a detachable outer/upper bowl that sits over an aluminum base (the base actually makes up the bottom of the chamber), itself sitting on a Bakelite lower bowl and shank. It also sports a '12k gold filled' accent band.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
That is pretty cool! I wonder if you could get different bowls for it like the Falcons.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
No matter if you could buy factory replacement bowls, you can have them made or make them....that's one superb and extremely unique and desirable piece of equipment right there!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Bakelite was invented in 1907. Seems like they were making pipe parts out of it shortly after that. The earliest Bakelite pipe ad I have a copy of dates to 1917. I am a collector of pipes with the cherry Bakelite stems. Judging from the brands and styles I have, cherry Bakelite was popular in the 19 teens and twenties.

Your very nice LHS is a pretty classic example of a Bakelite screw bowl pipe from that era. Earlier versions of similar types were made from wood, celluloid, rubber.
Here's a Manhattan from the same era:
Manhattan%20Bakelite%20Replaceable%20bowl_zpsbxmqxmxd.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very nice looking pipe. It's quite modern looking for the time period. Enjoy. :puffy:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
What great find and what a very beautiful pipe! I just got another unsmoked LHS in from eBay today though it's much more recent and not as striking as yours. Congrats!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score. Great looking pipe. I think LHS pipes are underrated. I have a few and they are good quality built pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It appears to anticipate art decco, with its embrace of modern technology and materials. Now that is what I call collectible. Unique and functional. I'm a wee bit envious. I love that piece. congratulations!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Just did a head count on my LHS pipes. I've got 4, all from auctions. 2 are 'certified purex'...and two are superfine...a variety of shapes...from a lovat to an author with 5/16" rim...all have screw in tenons...all are very good smokers..

These were made in the US and have a history with the Military in WW11. Americana.

bonanzaman

Lurker
Nov 6, 2015
I found these pipes when cleaning out my late fathers stuff.

Can you guys give me information on them?

They appear to be unsmoked in their original box.
lhs-pipe-1-112x150.jpg

Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.