PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Oddly enough this is the second time my brother in law has asked me to borrow something that was near and dear to me. The first time he had my wife ask me to borrow my Harley Davidson. The only thing I could do was laugh. This time he asked to borrow one of my pipes at the last family reunion. I had my Ser Jacopo's and il Ceppo. Needless to say I never let him touch them. Anyone ever let somone use one of there higher end pipes or any pipe in general (other than a son)? Seemed like an odd request too me. Kind of like using my tooth brush just more expensive.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's been a long time since I had a circle of friends that included a large number of smokers... So the question of "borrowing" a pipe hasn't come up. At Thanksgiving last year offered my brother a pipe from my rack for a post-meal smoke. He declined, as he's too afraid of becoming a full blown smoker again. As I regularly clean my pipes, and leave them clean in between uses, I didn't think much of this.
If I had a brother in law like yours though, I might keep a bag of MM cobs around just in case.
-- Pat

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
To me loaning out a pipe is like loaning out a good fountain pen - each are attuned to the habits and uses of their owners. Lending them to others can not only effect the desired attributes that the owner has taken so long to carefully cultivate, but leave the borrower with a skewed perception of the instrument.

madmick

Lurker
Oct 31, 2012
I'm a generous person for the most part and I'm always more than willing to let a friend or neighbor borrow whatever they need if I have it (except money). But.......I'm with you on the pipes it’s just like you said about the toothbrush. I don’t care about the price of the pipe but its mine and I don’t want your slobber all over it.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've only loaned out one pipe, a rather nice basket grab I'd just bought and only smoked once. But the guy was the president of my music fraternity, who is a very close friend and one of the most trustworthy individuals I know. He didn't have a pipe, and he ended up enjoying the hobby so much I just told him to keep the thing. He's the kind of guy I'd give a pipe to as a gift anyway. I'll let any of the friends I smoke with have a bowl out of any of my pipes when we smoke together, but I definitely wouldn't loan my Peterson or any of my estates to anyone. Mostly because I smoke them the most. Really just the basket pipes and cobs, and then only to someone I really trust who will replace it if they do something to it.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Wow. Most of you so far are by far better people than I am. Borrowing certain items say a blender or tool I have no problem with. However certain things of mine are personal to me. I do not have many expensive or alot of stuff in general. However some things are just very personal to me and I would never let somone use, let alone borrow for a period of time. My pipes fall into this category. However I do not have any kind of basket pipe.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I will loan about anything including certain pipes to people I trust. Now you mess that up 1 time and you are on the list and wouldnt loan you a bottle of water after that.
I loan/give out cobs quite a bit. Sometimes something nicer.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I generally try to keep a couple MM cobs on hand to give to anyone that I come across that's interested in trying a pipe.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I did let a house sitter use one of my pipes while I was on a weeks vacation. I did a good cleaning for her including a pipe retort before I left. I would be willing to loan out certain pipes to a friend that ask. I only have a few pipes that I wouldn't loan out. I am with others on loaning a vehicle. If it doesn't work out it can be expensive or timely to fix.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
fitzy said:

I generally try to keep a couple MM cobs on hand to give to anyone that I come across that's interested in trying a pipe.
That's what I do.

Loaning someone your pipe is like letting them wear your underwear...or use your toothbrush!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I don't like to share my pipes or loan them out, but I do like to just pass them on or give them away. I have my favorites and it is usually some old keepers and some new acquisitions. All those pipes in the middle that seem to fade away into a drawer somewhere I'd just assume pass on to somebody I like or sell off. I have a few extra cobs on hand that are there for the boys in the garage; they get one freebie :wink: They usually leave them over so they don't lose them. I've thought about getting some communtity clays since that's the way things were in colonial times and they are easy enough to clean. So I guess I don't want anything back that I gave to someone.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
No one has ever asked me to borrow a pipe before. Now I have had several people ask to take a puff when I am smoking and I have been more than happy to oblige them hoping to get someone new into the hobby, but there are some pipes that I would never consider loaning out. They are simply too personal. It is odd. I do not feel this attachment so much with cobs as I do my briars, but it just seems violating. All except one of those pipes I shared were cobs. One was a briar. It felt wrong. I just can't explain it. I have restored several estate pipes now, and one thing I have always admired about them is that they were very close to someone else. I sometimes wonder if their previous owners found just as much peace in them as I do. I reckon a tool so thoroughly enjoyed just becomes close to your soul. With all of that being said, if I had a close friend or family member that smoked a pipe and asked to borrow one, with the exception of a couple of ones, I would more than likely allow them. If I had someone looking to get into the hobby or just starting out, I would just find one to give them or even go out and buy them a cob.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Funny this thread should be brought back up, I have a similar event happen earlier today. An old friend and supposed "pipe smoker" came over and asked if he could try some of my tobacco, he smokes only aromatics and I have plenty to share so I thought what the heck sure. I come to check up on him a few minutes later and he has opened about half of my jars to smell the tobacco! Set me back in my aging from 8 months to 2 years depending on the jar. Needless to say this joker is no longer allowed unattended around my tobacco or my pipes. To anwser your original question though, I have several broken in briars that I have set aside for guests, all of which I clean thouroughly, but no one is touching a pipe in my rotation.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Interesting topic here guys. I also fall into the "toothbrush" camp. Ewww! No lending of pipes for me. I would rather buy someone a new cob, than to share a pipe with them (unless it was my GF). :wink:
Having said that, I cannot imagine myself buying an estate (used) pipe for that very reason. You never know what has been smoked in it, nor what "cooties" they may have "infected" the pipe with. :twisted: :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two considerations. Hygiene and politics. There are a few viruses and such that can get passed back and

forth. Mostly, alcohol and rigorous cleaning obviate that problem, but it's still possible to get or pass some

obstinate little critter that the owner was immune to. Second, there's the problem of breakage, failure to

return, and misuse. Like the old adage about loaning money to a friend, you'll end up with neither the

money nor the friend. I think I'd be inclined to give the friend a new, fresh cob; clean the dickens out of

a pipe and give it to the friend as a gift (since smoking a used pipe is fine with him); or politely decline,

saying it's not your habit. Giving stuff away can be rather satisfying if it is really your own idea. Having

stuff not returned or returned in bad shape is not good for you or the perpetrator. But this is real personal.

Some people are huge hearted and would rather loan and give things away than not, and unless they are

exacting some sort of power over the recipients, this is to be greatly admired.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'll loan out money, cars, tools, movies, whatever. But I will never loan out wife or pipes!!! I'll give someone a pipe if they asked , no problem. But they get to keep...It's a whole germ thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.