PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All,
I have been intrigued by the absolutely gigantic magnum/maxima/house/desk pipes I have seen kicking around the internet tubes lately (Jacopo, Radice, etc). I finally decided to grab a few from Marco at Moretti Pipe on the recommendation of other forum members. Can't say enough about Marco's service, really great guy. I am also commissioning a gigantic magnum tomato with an 8 inch stem Marco is drafting up as we speak. I would love to see what everybody out there has in the way of gigantic pipes! So don't be shy! let's see them! I'll get it started with my new ones....
Moretti Collection Volcano
moretti-volcano-3-600x400.jpg

moretti-volcano-5-600x400.jpg

Moretti Super Magnum Morta
morta-4-600x400.jpg

morta-3-600x400.jpg

Moretti Magnum Freehand
moretti-3-600x400.jpg

moretti-2-600x400.jpg

Reactions: burleyboy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
While I don't have any big ones from Moretti, I have a number of his more standard sized pipes. Light weight, perfect drills, very comfortable stems and they all smoke very nice. One of the best bargains in the pipe industry. You have some real beauties there, enjoy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Magnums are fun, but not something I can use. I don't have a 3 hour stretch to smoke a bowl. But here's a Barling from the 1880's. Length is between 9 1/2 and 10".
4mSbg1c.jpg

Us5jsyX.jpg

The market for magnums comes and goes. There were a number of them produced in the 1880's and again in the late 1920's and '30's.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yo Alaskan, did you get them from the Moretti website or ebay?
All on ebay, but from Marco directly (user bima1960). Marco lists many of his pipes on ebay, basically as advertising/promotion, and if you watch them regularly you can get some insanely good deals. All of the above pipes combined cost less than the average new dunhill.
hoosierpipeguy is correct IMO, absolutely one of the best bargains in the pipe industry. And one of the nicest people, he has been incredibly accommodating, attentive, and responsive throughout the commission process. Couldn't possibly recommend him, or his pipes, more at this point.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Magnums are fun, but not something I can use. I don't have a 3 hour stretch to smoke a bowl. But here's a Barling from the 1880's. Length is between 9 1/2 and 10".
WOW!!!! Your Barling collection never ceases to amaze, Jesse. I'd say that counts for sure! Have you smoked it? If so, how does it smoke? Also, I hear you, with a 3 month old in the house I will rarely be utilizing them in the near future, but I get the chance once a month or so and when I do it's a real pleasure. Although, moose season is coming up in September, and there are few things better in this world than a long, relaxing, smoke after a day in the field in God's country. I"ll be lighting one of these Moretti pipes up as soon as I land the airplane on opening day I can tell you that much, hahaha. And every day after that until closing day most likely.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Beautiful Morettis, and that Barling is just stunning.

Here's my biggest one. A Castello dublin in le dune finish.
ledune1-600x450.jpg

ledune4-600x450.jpg

ledune3-600x450.jpg

ledune5-600x450.jpg

The last picture is next to a standard size model 55 for size comparison.

Reactions: burleyboy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Here's my biggest one. A Castello dublin in le dune finish.
Wow!!! That is one big Castello. Gotta be an amazing smoker. I've never been the biggest fan of their Le Dune finish, but I could probably make an exception for that beast.
I just have one Svendborg freehand
A great looking pipe! Love the mountainous rim.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
alaskan, all those pipes are sweet. Congrats on a great score.
I don't have any pipes larger than an ODA and those are not in the same league as these giant pipes. I bet Bradley has some pipes this big. I new a guy who was into Ardor giants and damn they were big.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I new a guy who was into Ardor giants and damn they were big.
Thanks!
Ardor, Radice, Ser Jacopo, Castello, Moretti.............I'm sensing a pattern. Are Magnum pipes and Italian thing?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
While not briar these are definitely house pipes due to their large size, I've placed them with a Peterson b10 for comparison.
Those are some bigass gourds. Who made them? I saw a magnum calabash by Ashton recently on ebay for $1 million. It looked like a neat pipe. How do they smoke?

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I was gonna ask you, Oldcajun if you needed a crane for that! My 2 biggest pipes would be my old calabash that I bought back in the late 60's and a giant briar (145grms.) that I have since given to a good friend as he is a big guy and can handle a big pipe....the briar was made by Briar Spirit Pipe (Kirk) some of you older fellers probably remember him.

ulj5CQcl.jpg

4DlhKYZl.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
Those are some bigass gourds. Who made them? I saw a magnum calabash by Ashton recently on ebay for $1 million. It looked like a neat pipe. How do they smoke?
Yeah I saw that Ashton as well, its been on ebay for a good while now and while it's expensive it does look very nice.

The 2 in my pictures are Strambach and they both take a 9mm filter (although they work perfectly fine without one), they smoke very dry and very cool but work much better with fuller tobaccos as anything less can get 'thinned out' and lost.

The black stemmed one I mainly use for Revor Plug, PPP and Warrior Plug while the yellow stem is for Germains brown flake and Full Virginia Plug.

I also have a Northern Briars calabash that is not as big and a Fikri Baki that is very small and less strong tobaccos like Germain's Cavendish & Virginia or Gawith's Golden Glow work brilliantly in these.

Basically it's all to do with the size of the gourd, the bigger and more cavernous its insides are the drier & cooler it'll smoke but conversely it'll also 'thin' and weaken the flavour and strength of the tobacco more.

I use calabashes to smoke stronger fuller blends that would be a bit too much for me in a briar pipe and I find them perfect for that task but they are definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.