PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quite often, I see posts from people saying that Kirsten Pipes are good smokers. So... I have never smoked one or even seen a live one. Would some of you fine Members be kind enough to post a picture of your Kirsten Pipe and tell us what you think of it. Good and/or bad opinions are more than welcome.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I like mine. It's really easy to clean. Plus like a Falcon, the bowl is detachable. So you could buy several bowls, and dedicate one for english blends, one for Virginas, etc. You can get briar or meerschaum bowls. Missouri Meerschaum mad corn cob bowls at one time, but they're no longer in production. They come in straight, quater bent, and full bent. You could have a whole seven day rotaton with just one stem. Those fins on the sides act as a radiator, dispersing heat. Also, they are made in America. Seattle to be specific.
This is the only picture I have of it

2012-04-05215203.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
I had one but could never seem to load it right and it liked to whistle when it was smoked so I sold it.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am looking into Kirsten right now. They are based out of Seattle and since I am really close there I would love to support them

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I understand that they haven't been producing new pipes for some time, and that they don't have enough spare parts to to create composites.

I've occasionally seen them on Ebay, though.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
nsfisher - I was looking into these too because I understand they smoke well. In my research I found out they are literally less than a mile from my house in downtown Seattle. So I went for a visit. Their shop is in a pretty nice high-end outdoor mall. I dont know why but that really surprised me. As a former small business owner, I also think of expenses when I see small companies. Their location is High Rent for sure so I wonder how many pipes + tobacco you'd have to sell just to pay the sky high small business taxes in WA state much less put a loaf of bread on the table. I spent about an hour there talking with the guy. Yadan is correct that they are trying to rebuild their inventory. He told me that I'd have to wait 4 - 6 months for a new pipe (again, back to my small business thinking). He had some misc spare parts in a drawer but he didn't have any bents or full bent stems that I could actually look at. I was pretty disappointed. He also said that they are going to be raising their prices because everything has become more expensive, which I know to be true. He said this is the first price increase in over 30 years.
P.S. I didn't walk away disappointed because I picked up my Honey Bee Savinelli + some of their Mariner Mixture

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
On another note, I'm not sure how a company can run out of inventory of a mass produced product. From an Operations perspective, when you see both raw inventory levels shrinking and robust sales continuing, you plan for these things. There is definitely another reason for this situation but its not public at this point. I'll be interested to know if it ever comes out.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
zonomo said:

"On another note, I'm not sure how a company can run out of inventory of a mass produced product. From an Operations perspective, when you see both raw inventory levels shrinking and robust sales continuing, you plan for these things. There is definitely another reason for this situation but its not public at this point. I'll be interested to know if it ever comes out."
That goes for me, as well. I suspect that competition from Falcon may have had something to do with decreased sales. I for one wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they were available; I constantly browse Ebay to see what's what.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for the info ya'll. I am seriously considering and looking into them. I think my biggest concern to date so far is the fact that they appear awkward looking. They are ruputed to be excellent smokers, so I may give one a go, in the near future. I do believe that if I do make the jump, I would also look for a couple of Meer bowls.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have a 1940 Kirsten that I still smoke. It was made befor they used the o-rings in them so I never need to replace them.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
From what I've been able to research. They are very fine pipes. Maybe not as beautiful as some of the artisan pipes but still very nice. I'm definitely going to buy one and support the local Seattle economy.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ya, I am being facetious. I have funny names for companies. Taco Bell = Taco Hell. Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck. etc.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I wrote an article about Kirstens for Pipes and Tobaccos magazine a few years ago. One of the things I learned at the time, was that the pipes were produced on the same CNC milling machines that they used to make aircraft parts for Boeing. Possibly they are too busy with aircraft production to devote much time to pipes these days or perhaps they just lost interest.
I only have the one Kirsten and I can't say I was very impressed with it's smoking qualities. I find it a pain to clean and don't like the draft hole being at the bottom of the bowl. The draft is very restricted as well.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When i was there they had 1 meerch bowl but there was a certain part that they needed but didnt have. I think this entire situation is "strange".... something feels weird here.
@lraisch, you happen to have a link to your article? I'd love to read it.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have one Kirsten pipe that I keep in the truck for when I forget to grab a pipe as I head out the door. I talked to the company last year and was told that they were having problems getting the acrilic for the mouthpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.