PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
HONESTY: I just cant stand McClelland tobaccos....I've tried about 6 different blends (ok so that's not too many but how much do I have to spend and keep being disappointed?)and I really hated them all. When I open the tin they all smell like old ketchup (and I LOVE ketchup!). I never even liked how they burned or the taste. Maybe it's just me. Granted I have never tried their "special" editions.....
So, tell me:
Understanding the very subjective nature of this....
1) If you think I should give McClelland another try, which one do you like
I have tried:

Dark Star (the Grateful Dead should sue).

St. James Woods (more like **** in the woods)

#22 Virginia

#25 Virginia

#27 Virginia

221-B Arcadia - the only one that was somewhat tolerable
and/or
2) be honest and tell us which tobacco makes you want to puke.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Mac Baren VA no. 1. Well I like the taste of it a lot when it isn't destroying the inside of my mouth.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Penzance...searched & searched, then a member sent me some & I passed most of it on. I only tried 2 bowls, but I didnt even want to finish them.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Hearth and Home Vischer Ferry. Way too vanilla-y for me and induces my gag reflex.
My favorite of the McClelland blends is their 5100.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
McClelland bulk 2035 (Dark Navy / pungent cake). Great taste, but it won't burn. Texture somewhere between hard shoe polish and tar.

C&D's Crooner, same story: Great taste, but it won't burn. Texture resembles dried mouse bits, IYKWIM.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I HATE Peterson University Flake.... I hate it with a passion. Ive really given it a try too, had about half a tins worth, just couldnt stand it.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am having a hard time with Virginia's. Haven't given up on them quite yet, as I was gifted some, and bought some on my own. But so far, it is like smoking burning paper to me.
I am still in the fight, but they are winning on points.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
@bronxbriar PM me and I can send you some samples of the Frog Morton line. On the Bayou is my favorite blend for the last 3 years! But they require long drying time to get a good smoke out of 'em.
The only thing I haven't enjoyed so far were probably to wet at the time. I also mix blends I enjoy less to get a better moisture content and taste. I've been "aging" a bag of captain black for about a year now. I just looked in the pouch and it looks much better, much less soapy and oily. I'm going to prop it open and shake it around over the next couple days and give it another try.

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
Billy Budd. I tried to like it, but it's just too bitter for me.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Borkum Riff actually really did make me "puke" years ago in my early teens.

As for present, anything that has Virginia's as its main ingredient burns my tongue and roof of my mouth bad.

For that reason I buy a lot of tobacco I can never smoke unfortunately.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Until recently I didn't really have a blend that came to mind as one I really didn't care for, until last week:
Hearth & Home Marquee - Cerberus
I don't know what it is, but there is a flavor component in it I just can't like. And it WILL GHOST a pope like no other blend I have experienced to date. I'm not sure whether I'll just cellar this for a while, or trade it with someone I don't like.
8O

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Not sure if there is much I hate - I have enough experience, by now, to avoid stuff like that. But there are many blends that will never find their way into my pipe again. The Frog Mortons are a fine example.

Status
Not open for further replies.