Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Let Them Smoke No Cake

(25 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've mentioned from time to time, about fifteen percent (out of thin air) Forums members do not develop cake in their pipes, but scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with a sturdy paper towel or napkin. This maintains the circumference of the chamber and eliminates the need for reaming. This is no disparagement of building cake, just a different way of going that makes some of us content. Just mention it from time to time for people starting out with pipe smoking. It is a reasonable option. My pipes that go back thirty and forty years still smoke great and seem to appreciate this approach.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Let them smoke no cake." Isn't that what Marie Antoinette said when she was packing her Missouri Meerschaum with Big'n'Burley?

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree also. I think what's to be avoided is a crumbly, soft cake. Such a cake is comprised of ash and half burned leaf. With the paper towel "reaming" and/or a flush with hot water, ash and loose bits are removed and the cake that's left is hard and thin.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, Ms. With-it from France. She said, "Let them eat cake du tobac" when she heard the peasants couldn't find any pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I took up this practice recently after reaming and cleaning most of my pipes back to near-bare wood. I've been very happy with the results - much cooler, drier, cleaner smokes. Let me smoke no more lumpy, soft cake!

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

I've been scooping out and wiping the bowl with a kitchen paper towel since one of the previous times @mso mentioned it. Works well for me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Cake builder myself.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me...paper towel wipe after every smoke and hot water rinse often.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cake builds even if you clean the bowl after every smoke. Just not as fast.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's so many variables concerning cake.

Some of my pipes benefit very much with about a dimes thickness. Others get the twisted paper towel treatment resulting in a hard carbon cake. YMMV.

Smoking can't be bad for you. It cures Salmon.

-Unknown-
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I am definitely a swab it out after each smoke. Works well for me. I’m also a subscriber of the hot water flush as some here practice.

I wonder how that hot water affects vulcanite stems, as I’ve been told sunlight and moisture are the devil on these materials.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been flushing out my vulcanite stems with hot tap water for over two years with no deleterious effects. I also sometimes scrub the outsides with a wet scrub sponge, let dry, and depending on the quality of the vulcanite, will give a very light rub with a dab of mineral oil, or just leave it be.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Ok gotcha. I suppose as long as the water/moisture is removed via pipe cleaner inside the stem there wouldn’t be any residual effects.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After each bowl I smoke, I clean my pipe. One of the things I do to clean my pipe is to use a couple of bent over soft pipe cleaners and wipe the inside of my bowl, getting any left over ash or tobacco. A nice hard cake builds in my pipes as I smoke flakes and plugs almost exclusively. I like a dimes worth of cake as for my tastes the pipe burns cooler and with more flavor as I also dedicate all of my pipes.

I am a long time member in the cake is cool club.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a big cake guy myself, I do like a thin lair and nothing more. For some reason those heavily caked pipes are a turnoff, it sort of tells me that the user doesn't take good care of their pipes. What I usually do is take a fluffy pipe cleaner, u shape it, and ream the bowl a couple of three times with it. Cake builds up non the less, but not at that fast of a pace.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take a relatively rough paper towel or napkin, after I thoroughly scoop out and scrape out the bowl with a pipe tool, and pack the bowl with the paper towel and turn it around in there. It drags out quite a bit of soot and ash. Then I puff out any residual over the waste basket or an ash try. Over time, this maintains a thin layer of carbon, not really enough to call cake. There's no caking. But the thin carbon layer remains and keeps the inside of the bowl intact. Nothing builds up, not over decades. Works well for me, and as someone else said, makes for a nice dry clean smoke.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

(jpm)

I've been flushing out my vulcanite stems with hot tap water for over two years with no deleterious effects. I also sometimes scrub the outsides with a wet scrub sponge, let dry, and depending on the quality of the vulcanite, will give a very light rub with a dab of mineral oil, or just leave it be.

(PP)

Ok gotcha. I suppose as long as the water/moisture is removed via pipe cleaner inside the stem there wouldn’t be any residual effects.

That is certainly the better way to go. However, over the last year or so, I don't bother with a cleaner in the airway unless there's an obstruction. The water flowing out the stem being clear and free flowing is enough for me. I love to see the first flow of brownish water, which tells me some crap is being removed from the stem, esp. the mortise.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm lazy. I also like getting my hands under the hood & becoming one with the pipe. But mainly I'm lazy. When they need gunk cleaned out, that's why God made both bristle cleaners & 91% alcohol cheap. But primarily I'm lazy.

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After restoring some fairly gunked up estate pipes, I've become an advocate of the paper towel brigade. I found that I can smoke whatever I want in the pipes and just wiping them out prevents any ghosting.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Pappy- interesting. I’ll keep this in mind for future experimentation.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since I have never built cake, I can't compare ghosting, but in fact I don't taste any residual flavor from one blend to the next. I don't push my luck with Lakeland aromatic blends, but with something like Mixture 79, I don't taste any carry-over, with the designated cob.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

h3rodotus

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much for posting this, I've followed this practice myself and now I know I don't have to feel weird about it. I'm trying to keep my smoke as cool as possible at all times, I suppose if I was freight-training and burning out bowls then maybe.

I love the age of youtube and I love the YTPC community but I find when I talk to older pipers; which I do quite a lot, there is much disagreement with some of the advice going around. One of the things that I have found in some platforms is that the advice of experts with years of experience is disregarded because someone heard one time you should do this or that trick or put honey in your bowl. That stuff becomes part of the pop culture and gets passed along. Someone handed me a Stanwell pipe at a shop the other day, it was brand spanking new, I went to touch my finger to the light maple colored bowl and found that it had been coated at the factory with some kind of vanilla honey or something, it might have been a Savinelli Honey pipe or something but it was low-key revolting.

Anyway, I'm gonna go put some orange peels in my aging jars. Catch you all l8tr.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cake builder, not too much

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Count me in the 15% mso. I have some pipes for over forty years and no detriment to this method.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 4 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, ashdigger, mrslaughter, craig61a, cdmjr, jaytex969, georged, cortezattic