PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piper64

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 21, 2018
Northern Ireland
During this rememberence / Veterans weekend I will be lighting a pipe and thinking of all servicemen/women past and present. I will especially remember two special people who died while on duty with me..You are forever in our thoughts.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's good to set aside a time to ponder the enormous loss and suffering endured to preserve our nation. Many thanks to all the veterans still around to receive them, and many prayers for those beyond our reach.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
GI grits and GI gravy
GI wish I'd joined the navy!
Happy Veteran's Day, my brothers and sisters in arms!
Free haircut tomorrow at Great Clips or Sport Clips for vets.
Lots of food discounts also. Google veterans day freebies.
So, tomorrow, I get fatter and balder... :mrgreen:
Thank you, society, for treating us better than you did those fellows 50 years ago!
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks to all my fellow vets still with us, and to those in the military, and respect and gratitude to all those who have gone before.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I always apprenticed the US for having this holiday. In my country we have "army day" or "navy day" or what not .. but they are somewhat reminiscent of communist holidays. In spite of the fact that the country is filled with monuments in memory of the fallen, we don't have a particular holiday. IN my region each village has monuments mentioning the names of all fallen from that particular village in ww1 and ww2 operations, but .. a national day for ALL Romanians fallen in our national wars ... Non the less, God bless your veterans, guys.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A special thanks and raised to all of our veterans, past & present.
This will be the first Veterans Day without Pap. 33 years in the US Army, a retired SGM. He passed away one year ago. Still waiting on interment at Arlington, but we finally have a date scheduled, Feb 1st, with full military honors.
Here's a shot from Veterans Day 2015 and him in 1969, 1st Infantry, Blue Spaders (he was 50 years old at the time).

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Ssjones,
Great picture of your dad. Reminds me of my grandpa. Very sorry for your loss.
Yes, I raise my pipe to all veterans—past and present!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’m with Dad this weekend. Vietnam vet. I try very hard to see him in person each Vets Day.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Al that is a treasure for sure. This morning I’m thinking of my Fathers brother who fought from Africa to Germany, was pinned in a foxhole somewhere in Germany, water up to his chest, 2 dead Germans with him and a sniper in a bell tower, couldn’t get out, finally Patton’s tanks blasted the tower, he was sent to England to recoup from wounds. He was kind of off kilter when he came back, it wasn’t till I came back from SAsia that I appreciated what he went thru. To all the people that served whether in combat or not, THANK YOU.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe this is a Memorial Day comment more than a Veterans Day comment, but when I hear about men and women who were lost in wars at age 19, 21, 28, 35, and so on ... I quickly think back on how much life has happened for me between those ages and the present, and I mourn for them and those truncated lives. We have lost so many talents, so much energy, and so many progeny they would have had. People don't have to be Mozart or Hawking to be part of the mosaic of human culture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe this is a Memorial Day comment more than a Veterans Day comment, but when I hear about men and women who were lost in wars at age 19, 21, 28, 35, and so on ... I quickly think back on how much life has happened for me between those ages and the present, and I mourn for them and those truncated lives. We have lost so many talents, so much energy, and so many progeny they would have had. People don't have to be Mozart or Hawking to be part of the mosaic of human culture.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Our local paper ran a collection of headlines about guys wounded or lost in battle from our hometown.
Did anyone see the trailer for this upcoming Peter Jackson documentary, using remastered footage? It looks amazing.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/11/us/peter-jackson-world-war-i-documentary/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.