PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ever been fascinated by your own behavior? I've been a true fan of the world of pipes for only a few months. I think most begin with the love of a single pipe that catches our attention, not always but often. For me this was a Dunhill Diplomat that sucked me into that brand. I liked the Dunhill aesthetic, the storied past, deep history. I loved their vision of a pipe smoker, a classy undertaking with smoke filled leather bound rooms filled with important people discussing important things while wearing expensive watches and drinking cognac or single malt. If eBay is the path you take to more pipes, you're likely to begin buying similar pipes. Anybody with an affinity for a brand, it's EASY to start going through them thinking "oh that ones nice!!"? and "ah that one to". I purchased the pipes I found aesthetically pleasing because without the benefit of handling a pipe first, aesthetics in a photos are all you have to go by. I ended up with a cabinet of a couple dozen Dunhills within the first couple months. I did a LOT of reading online in forums and other sites. I handled the pipes I bought, but was afraid to light them for fear I'd damage these marvelous pieces of briar. As I continued reading I'd eventually find that I'd seen all the photos. I began looking at other pipes, ones outside of my general aesthetic preferences. I read about other finishes and the stories behind other pipes and carvers. I discovered a Cooke pipe I wanted badly. As I moved outside of Dunhill, I discovered what I guess all of us eventually do. There is a whole world of other pipes and other histories. I realized that I had a cabinet full of beautiful pipes I liked a lot, but only a few I loved. Once you do some exploring outside of whatever preconceived notions you had about pipes and what you think you want, your initial impressions will either be reinforced or altered. I discovered I liked the pipes where it was obviously carved by a master carver who'd invested a great deal of time and thought. These were the expensive pipes and so I had a choice to make. After some chitchat and consideration, I decided I'd rather have a dozen or so pipes that I loved than dozens I really liked a lot. It was easier than I thought. I began by picking my four favorite Dunhill pipes and moved them from the display case to the coffee/pipe table. In the days that followed, if I felt the need, I'd move other pipes from display to table which, at that moment, I felt I couldn't live without, while others moved back to display. It only took about a week. I ended with five Dunhill's that I'd never let go. The rest were traded and sold away to fund the purchase a few far more expensive pipes. I was somewhat scared that I'd grow to regret my choices and end up having to hock an organ to repurchase the Dunhill's I'd let go.... but now as time moves forward, I'm VERY happy with my choice!!! A few pipes you like a LOT vs a couple you love isn't a difficult choice at all.

Here's a photo of my collection taken today while the ones below it were taken in the previous months. What's my point you ask? No point really except to state the obvious. Focus your efforts on love, not like. This applies to all things and while it sounds overly simplistic and trite, it was a revelation to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's been 24 years since the first time I drew smoke out of the burl of the white heath, and I can tell you something, out of all the pipes I have had come and go, the truly loved ones only become more cherished as time goes on, and with each life experience had while smoking them. You can look back through the years, and remember special events just by picking them up and holding them. The inanimate old friend becomes a diary without ever lifting a pen. Definitely sounds like you are finding your place in the world of pipesmoking, and the journey only gets better.
Duane

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks CM! I think so to and its a fun journey!!! I've moved my tobacco to the display case instead of hidden away...

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Focus your efforts on love? I agree, but are you really in love? You seem like the kind of guy that meets some girl and three weeks later you're engaged, one year later you're divorced. All the while your friends are shaking their heads saying "There goes Nate again". Am I wrong? That or you're just filthy rich and have nothing better to do. Did you grow up rich?
You've only been smoking pipes for a few months and it looks like you've already spent thousands of dollars on pipes and tobacco. Trust me, you have no idea what your tastes really are and if you even continue to smoke a pipe beyond a year or two, I guarantee you that your current tastes in pipes and tobacco will change more than once.
There are guys just like you in the guitar world who have too much money/time and no direction. They buy the fanciest, most expensive gear they can get their hands on but they can't play, can't appreciate what makes it good, and have no idea what to do with it, besides show it off to guys who have far more experience and talent than the rich guy ever will because all the rich guy knows how to do is invest money, not time.
I realize I don't know you or your story and I could have it all wrong. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but dude, slow WAY down.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Great collection for sure. I like the whole layout. Would not mind having a few of them in my case.
From experience, I like basically the total oppisite from the pipes I thought I liked when I started. Would not be shocking if those pipes are sold off for your new found taste. Exactly like I did at the start. The good news is the re-sale value of what you have aquired will make that possible. Maybe taking a small loss on a few, but the price of knowing what you like to be considered. The "Love" that is mentioned where as probably nothing wrong with it strikes me as funny. You love your pipes, I think mine are a hunk of wood with 2 holes that I set fire to tobacco in. Lots of folks are probably somewhere in the middle. Still, Awesome pics and thanks for sharing them.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A wonderful collection, and thanks for sharing them and your unique story--I didn't find it wordy at all, but an excellent expression of your beginning journey.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Wow uncleblackie, way to label a guy for talking about his love of a hobby. So this is what he loves today, maybe his tastes change, maybe they don't. Who are we to judge how he enjoys his collection. Besides, there's a thriving estate market he can always trade for new favourites down the road. iamn8 I myself am envious that you figured out in a few months what took me over two years to figure out, keep what you love. Fantastic collection, glad to see you're enjoying the hobby. Don't let anyone tell you you're doing it right or wrong, do what feels right for you. And please keep posting pictures, I love to see pipes that I can't necessarily afford right now, gives me something to look towards down the road.
Brian

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
UncleBlack, I get why you'd think that, but I'm a 42yr old guy on disability whose been alone for a decade undergoing a series of eight major back surgeries. I won't bother going down the list but you have me pegged all sorts of wrong. Despite your attitude, welcome to the board!
To the rest, thanks so much!! I'm traveling my own path and happy to be around here. I just have a strong appreciation of meaningful rituals and pipes provide that in spades.

Jan 8, 2013
That's not enough pipes!!! :rofl: Heck... more power to you. The way I see it, if it's something you enjoy and you're able to do so, acquire all the pipes you want or can. Just remember to smoke one every once in a while so it doesn't feel left out. :D

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Don't let anyone tell you you're doing it right or wrong, do what feels right for you. And please keep posting pictures, I love to see pipes that I can't necessarily afford right now, gives me something to look towards down the road.
+1 brdavidson
UncleBlack, I get why you'd think that, but I'm a 42yr old guy on disability whose been alone for a decade undergoing a series of eight major back surgeries. I won't bother going down the list but you have me pegged all sorts of wrong. Despite your attitude, welcome to the board!
+1 nate
PS - Did you see this? You need it. Go get it!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sasieni-8-dot-patent-era-seven-day-set
-- Pat

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Nate, I join with terrapinflyer in offering my sympathies. I too am disabled, but it is nothing like what you are dealing with. I will say this to the the other fine fellows on this thread and forum: when you're disabled, pipe smoking (and collecting) can be a major contribution to maintaining your life. At least it has proved so for me. In less than two years I've collected about 25 pipes, with plans for just a couple of more, but such plans often go awry. (As when I first started pipe smoking and thought I'd get by with three or four pipes :) )

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
You are the first person I believe I have ever seen who has a higher ratio on pipes vs tobacco. It is usually the other way around. :) Wait until TAD kicks in lol.
Hiding behind a computer screen gives posters the ability to treat others poorly or with no respect. If I was a mod 25% of the posters here would receive a week ban. Do what you do man, its your life.

Oct 12, 2014
Perhaps a better way of phrasing UncleBlackie's opinion would be to suggest to Nate to step back from buying for awhile. Thats a fantastic collection of Dunnie's right there, now spend some time getting to know them. How do the different shapes smoke? What types of tobaccos do they prefer?
Really truely get an understanding of Dunhill's pipes, smoking characteristics, & quirks. With such a well represented collection it would be a fun way to spend the next year or two.
I've seen lots of would be pipers do the same thing, only to flame out after a year or two. Nobody wants to see that happen to a potential long term brother of the briar. Take some time to reflect on what you've got.
All the above said, its Nate's cash and he can pursue the gentle art in whatever manner he desires...

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Nate, as I have said before, I am thoroughly enjoying your journey in pipe smoking. You know your situation better than anyone here, so keep on keeping on!

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Nate, I am there with you on the back situation. Hope you find relief in those and your new pipe. I am going to echo the same do what feels right for you. I got your back.
Bryan

Oct 12, 2014
---slow down and give it time to enjoy the journey.---
Yup. And Nate, if you could, making an epic ongoing post about your journey smoking all those Dunhill's & various varieties of tobacco would be a great contribution to all fellow pipe smokers.
I'd very much like to read it..

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I think we're just approaching things from very different perspectives. Most of you have or have had careers, jobs, families, social lives, etc... I don't have these things. All I have is free time. 24/7/365 soul crushing free time. Days that must be filled with something. What you see you as moving quickly, to me feels like forever. When I say I've spent a few months doing this, I literally mean a few months, days and nights. Technically speaking, I've been at this a LOT longer than most of you except my time is consolidated vs being spread out an hour here and an hour there. I'm moving at exactly the right speed.
I have made my purchases smartly, calculated even. I could get out of this hobby having made money, not lost it. If I did decide it wasn't for me tomorrow, I would've filled these past few months with something I had a passion for. In what world could this be seen as a loss or a mistake?
Before my spinal nightmare I owned a successful cafe. I had a girlfriend. I worked hard and played hard. I have no regrets. We all must play the cards we're dealt. I didn't plan on the life I have now, but for everyday I have, if I can fill that day with something that excites me, makes me smile.... it's a win.
I think lots of people believe sitting at home all day is somehow easy. Let me tell you, it's the most difficult thing I've ever done. I try to keep a good, playful attitude. I really do. It just happens that someone here came along, read what I had written in a moment of joy, with his judgments and preconceived notions. I'll skip it though because I hate feeling angry. It makes my back hurt. My advice, since you didn't ask, is to keep your judgments to yourself. Read my posts or don't.
To the rest of my smokin' brethren, I appreciate your kind words and opinions! As I've said, I like it here. I really appreciate anyone who's take the time to read my wordy, single paragraph posts with all my run on sentences and grammatical errors. I sit at home for a living, what did you expect? :wink:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
On a completely unrelated note, my new Kent Rasmussen just arrived. It is the nicest pipe I've ever seen in person. A really beautiful piece of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.