PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsthesparks

Lurker
May 14, 2017
Washington
Hey guys (and gals)!
Started over a month ago and have learned that while a lot of suggestions for beginners have been helpful, others aren't my cup of tea aka the aromatics and cavendish stuff. If I'm going to spend money on tobacco I want something of quality.
I've looked around the boards and found independent blenders and so many posts. I've started a small list but it's overwhelming at times, especially since I'm still new.
Any suggestions for amazing lesser known blends or companies that you'd recommend?
I'm going to place a few orders of samples from LJ Peretti and maybe Uhle if that helps tell you anything.
My tastes have been steered towards burley, perique and va based blends. I'm alright with the taste of lat. Is it safe to say that as a newbie? :D

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Low Country's Waccamaw.
Yes! A barn-burner of a tobacco.
OP, you're on the right track with Peretti and Uhle's. Also check out Pipeworks & Wilke. Get yourself some High Hat and some No.10
While not "small batch", based on your description of your tastes, check out GL Pease's Haddo's Delight, Cumberland, Cairo and Barbary Coast.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Low Country's Cooper; Iwan Ries Three Star Blue; Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut burley variant, just to name three in a wide wide selection.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
While Uhle's Cuban and Iwan Reis 3-star blue are indeed special, keep in mind that some pipe shop blends (and flakes) are McConnell, Lane, etc. in disguise.
I would recommend you work your way through the classics, like Escudo, Orlik Golden Slice (two Virginias/Vapers), and on the Burley side, Solani's and Wessex's burley flake, and Peterson's University flake.
stanwell-1214-600x448.jpg

allthebass

Might Stick Around
May 7, 2017
Bettendorf, IA
Here are some lesser known blends from well known companies...
McClelland 5100 is an top notch bulk red Virginia ribbon. It smokes wonderfully on it's own but is also a great blender. It also ages very well in a mason jar. McClelland 2015 is a nice bulk VaPer and also seem to age well, I'm not a big VaPer guy but this one is decent. These are both well know to old dogs but not sure if newbies are hip.
It's absolutely fine if you don't like Latakia, not everyone does. I went thru a period where I would mainline the stuff but these days, while I still favor Latakia blends, I like it used with more restraint.
That said I've been smoking some Lane BS-005 on and off over the last year and while it's kinda on the heavy handed side it's a fairly decent bulk Balkan (see what I did there). This one was kind of new to me and I've been smoking for 23 years.
C&D Junkyard Dawg is a really good American English that I don't see a lot of people talk about. A lot of people love Epiphany but I think JD is the better blend. It does have Latakia but the main player is the Burley in that blend.
Good luck!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
D&R Rimboche A.P. or S.J. are excellent VaPerBur blends.

They arrive at 16% or less moisture content and have zero mildew issues.

I buy these in bulk so my experience with their tinned versions is non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.