PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
Bought a number of pipes that include a Les Wood Star. Not a Ferndown - just a Star. Silver spigot. My research has turned up nothing. Any info would be appreciated.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Ferndown pipes are stamped as 'Les Wood' in Europe and the stars indicate the size. I am not sure if this is what you mean?

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
The brand name side of the pipe is "Star" above "Made by Les Wood" There is a star stamped into the top of the stem. No LJS on the side of the stem. Right hand nomenclature is "Made by Hand" over "In England."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does this help?
Here's a way to add photos using the site's photo album:
1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK. (You can paste over the existing http://)
Images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, (-600x360)— the numbers and the dash preceding, leaving no spaces, and ending in .jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The link posted above takes me to my own album, but this may be the one.
e4172-61.jpg

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
It is a wild guess but the nomenclature reminds me of early James Upshalls. I do know Les did some silver work for James Upshall, perhaps he made a few pipes under their roof? It is just a very wild guess, perhaps Ken Barnes knows more? Or Tarheel?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
As stated above Les Wood pipes are supplied to europe as Les Wood and not Ferndown.I have 2 both from germany that are marked Les Wood.

As for the star I have only ever seen stars as sizes and they are marked as a star not the word star.

maybe some else will know more,Tarheel seems to be be in contact with Les,lovely looking pipe though

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks, guys for comments and photo uploading coaching. The photo is the correct pipe. I also found a comment on the pipephil site indicating that Les Wood sells to the European market, stamping pipes "L.Wood." Apparently the U.S. importer/distributor has the copyright on "Ferndown" and vigorously defends it. The only actual star on the pipe is on the stem - a five pointed star rather than the asterisk that Wood uses to indicate size on Ferndowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.