PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Not that this post will be universally applicable to my Jewish and Muslim friends, but I'm sitting here contemplating as I try to maintain my fast on Ash Wednesday what I will give up for lent. It occurred to me that I should give up my pipe. However, I'm so new to the hobby and enjoying it so much that I don't want to give it up. Maybe, of course, that's precisely why I should.
There is always the fall back plan. Chocolate or soft drinks. Hmmmmmm. This will take some more thought.
I'd love to hear the special ways you observe lent.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
You really don't want to give up your pipe till Easter, do you? Why not just give up a blend that you are not a real fan of? I like making it easy, like giving up the NFL Channel until Lent is over.
And, I try to eat Crawfish on Fridays all throughout Lent :wink:
Per the new Pope, at least we don't have to worry about going to hell since it doesn't exist.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe I should not order any pipes during lent. This would have the practical effect of letting me

think over the next purchase, but that's not how lent is supposed to work. I think what you give up

is supposed to be an outright sacrifice.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I give up eating chili during lent. If I weaken, I just put beans in the chili so it's not really chili. Of course then I have to eat around the beans.
I also give up golf. Pretty much all the golfers up here do that.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Giving up smoking aromatics? Yeah, that's what I do. That and bungee-cord jumping. And crack cocaine.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
As a fellow Roman Catholic I understand your question. I think sacrificing something you enjoy the most would give you the most benefit as well as making you appreciate the enjoyment of it after Easter.

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I'm giving up waiting until noon for my first pipe of the day. Giving up self-denial sounds good to me. Of course I'm Jewish so it doesn't make that much difference. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm refraining from smoking Semois. I'm secure in keeping that lenten austerity. I'm

also refraining from smoking the over-the-counter tobacco Clan -- for good reason,

according to the reviews -- though I do have that on hand.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
www.GodisImaginary.com
watch all the videos on the first page, read all 50 proofs on the RH side and discover rational thinking and reverse the ridiculous brainwashing you received as a child.
It is the most liberating thing you will experience in life.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.GodisImaginary.com
watch all the videos on the first page, read all 50 proofs on the RH side and discover rational thinking and reverse the ridiculous brainwashing you received as a child.
It is the most liberating thing you will experience in life.
I'll pray for you. Hopefully you'll just go to Purgatory. Plus I converted to Roman Catholicism as an adult because I found Protestantism to be a watered down religion of convenience, and read the Bible as an adult.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
It occurred to me that I should give up my pipe. However, I'm so new to the hobby and enjoying it so much that I don't want to give it up. Maybe, of course, that's precisely why I should.
Works righteousness sure can be confusing, huh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.