PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Reminds me of a chase with our long-gone cat Bartleby, when a baby squirrel fell down the chimney. The cat chased it from side to side in a corner, and I finally scooped up the squirrel in a grocery bag and liberated it out the back door. My wife's cat loved to hunt and regularly caught voles, mice, and other small game, a few birds, and one garter snake which fascinated her endlessly.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Gotta love the feline instincts. Lego has never been able to hunt till today. After the bee and now the skink, she's so amped up on adrenaline that she's pacing the house and jumping anything that moves. Reminds me a short Italian guy who just saw Rocky and now thinks he can take anyone on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fascinating the way cats retain so much hunting instinct despite domestication, though I realize Lego is a special instance, genetically. Since my wife's cat has so much hunting experience, she watches the boy litter mates attempt to hunt with a condescending air. They skitter and poke at an early fall mouse who's wandered into the warm house. She waits until the boys get bored and wander away. Then she goes into an ambush, waiting any amount of time, and when the mouse thinks it's safe and moves toward safety, bam. She has it parked next to our slippers in the morning. We keep her inside here, for vehicle traffic and a problem with FIV with an earlier much loved cat, so she lines up toy mice at our bedside, and we praise her lavishly. I think often the females are more active hunters, because they have to feed their litters. However the most active hunting cat I knew was a rather medium sized male that had been declawed (not buy any of us, he was a rescue). But that little guy bought down adult rabbits and squirrels along with the usual smaller animals. He also established leadership with a formidable much loved dog and various dogs boarded at the house. He also socialized with neighbors, and people knew him a wide radius around the neighborhood. He'd visit their parties and sometimes do overnights. And he was extremely easygoing about sleeping with people, on your shoulder or against your leg. This was my sister's cat, and most unusual. There's a certain amount of truth in the idea that cats domesticated people for their purposes, as much as the other way around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wasn't sure what a skink was until i saw it, then I remembered. I think the motion of snakes and lizards really excites cats, that waggly motion.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
That was cute. Glad Lego got some practice in. My cat Loki is a great mouser, and is still lightning fast at 11 years old. He kills them outright with his jaws. Nymeria would catch a mouse, hold it gently in her mouth and let it go several times. They were still able to get away and run around. The roomate would squeal and freak out at all hours. After Nym saw Loki deal with a mouse, her tactics changed. Once caught, they no longer run in this house. Unfortunately, no skinks around here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.