PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391914105381?_trksid=p2471758.m4704
Anyone with knowledge of Dunhill pipes think this is legit? I feel a PAD coming on and I am trying to be smart about it.
Thanks!!!

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I thought the stamping on the silver band looked bad compared to what I have looked at online--IMHO

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm with Dr. Bob. I see nothing to indicate that it is not the real deal. The markings on the pipe and band are identical to what I have seen many times over the years.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Free advice, so take it for what it's worth, but it looks fine to me. Right shape number, stem looks right, silver band stamped AD... The dress pipes sometimes lose some of their black over time and the grain shows through, so the color looks normal to my eyes. There are genuine Dunhill experts on these boards, so maybe one of them will weigh in.
EDIT: I see that pipestud posted when I did. I think you're good to go.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The silver band would be the least of my worries. It might be just the pictures, and the stem being "clocked" but the White Dot doesn't appear to be on the centerline of the stem, and also relatively close to the stem/shank join. My first impressions...

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I guess I'll clarify, as it seems that I am commenting on the quality of the pipe. If you like the look of the grain showing, go for it. But the black does not simply come off, it is worn off, either by hands or buffing. It has lost some of the black, and is not what a dress looks like. I have no doubt that it has not had any effect on the smoking quality of the pipe.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Well let me ask this-Anyone with a Dunhill pipe..Do you find the quality of the pipe, quality of the smoke worth more than say a peterson I could pay $200.00 for(in regards to paying 200.00 for this particular Dunhill on Ebay)?

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I own several Dunhills and aside from being well made, just about every Peterson I own delivers a much more pleasurable smoke. Just my two cents.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It might be just the pictures, and the stem being "clocked" but the White Dot doesn't appear to be on the centerline of the stem
Yep, good eye. Definitely off-center.
But... it happens. On my favorite Dunhill the dot is slightly off-center, but it was over a year before I noticed it -- I bought it new from Al Pascia, so I'm confident the stem (on mine) is original.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm not feeling it. If you've found a new Peterson, or an estate from a reputable dealer that you really like...

Quality of the smoke can vary so much from pipe to pipe, whether expensive or not. That being said, the half dozen or so Dunhill's I own are decent smokers.
Returns: Seller does not offer returns.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
But... it happens. On my favorite Dunhill the dot is slightly off-center, but it was over a year before I noticed it -- I bought it new from Al Pascia, so I'm confident the stem (on mine) is original.
As drbenway said, maybe fugazi Dunhill stems are more common. :?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I own several Dunhills and aside from being well made, just about every Peterson I own delivers a much more pleasurable smoke. Just my two cents.
LOL. I would say just the opposite about mine!
It's a perennial question -- are Dunhills worth it? I don't own any higher-grade Petersons, but I've never had a bad Dunhill. The stems on Dunhills are objectively better/more comfortable, in my opinion, and that's important for this smoker.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
No returns? I'd steer clear unless it was a really good price. With shipping, you're probably going to pay more than $200, which is a fair price, but not a great price. It might be worth looking at new Dunhills from Al Pascia for comparison's sake. New Shells of that size can be had for about $260.
https://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Dunhill

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I wasnt feeling 100% about listing, so ask the ole reliable forum. Thanks to all of you for your insights!
Any recommendations for a good zulu shape pipe?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I'll offer some free advice to you, try not to talk about a pipe you want to buy at auction on this forum. You are drawing attention to the uncompleted auction and someone on this forum may like it now too. This is the home for many sufferers of PAD and TAD.
Same goes for hard to find tobacco, buy what you want first, then post it on the forum. Otherwise it may get scooped up by another fast acting forum member who will buy ALL the inventory.
Dunhill pipes smoke great, IMO they are not out of this world as some may say. Buy what you like, shape wise, finish, size, weight, etc. If you don't know what you like yet, I wouldn't spend $200+ on this pipe. I have a slew of pipes I bought early on, that I would never buy now.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You're advice is good, alan73, but of all places, this forum is pretty good about not sniping from someone with some general questions. Posting just a picture may have helped, but reverse image search is too easy now. Honestly, if we can't trust each other, we can't trust anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.