PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
talking with a guy today at my local shop (who is a tobacco lobbyist) tells me that legislation was filled today 02-10-2017 that could raise the taxes on a tin from the current $1.77 to $24!!!
Who else knows about this?
Todd

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
From what I understood him to say, it's national, just like the Feb 15, 2007 cigar blend band. He lobbies at the national level for General

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Where's all the Government Lovers in the group? Government does this, government does that. Government gives us rights...etc etc.... Come on! Stand up for the round of applause. We know who you are. Don't be afraid. :clap:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don't think it'll pass the HOR. Unless the pussies buckle and hide it in a bill to do with farming or something. Not trying to go there with politics, but all tax and FDA regulations are political conversations. Government wants to grow and it takes a virtuous people to slap it in its face and tame it. Are we a virtuous people? Not enough to rub off on the masses.
Pipe Monk, yes the last Presidential Regime was all about killing jobs, their lackeys are imbedded so expect it to continue. The opposition to the last regime was also part of the problem, Oligarchs. Jobs come from the people, not government. Corporations are people.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Won't happen unless there is a change in the House, Senate, and POTUS

Now if you are blessed to live in one of those special nanny States, expect it and more

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not an expert, but I believe that only a state can pass a sales tax. So I think this would have to be for a specific state.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Next time you buy a gallon of gas you get whacked by the State and the Feds. I have no doubt a federal excise tax can be imposed and justified, just like the the FDA regulation of "tobacco" in the widest sense of that word.
"States with highest gasoline taxes. It costs more to drive in these states. The federal gasoline excise tax rate is 18.4 cents per gallon."

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/states-with-highest-gasoline-excise-taxes-1.aspx
Pennsylvania comes in at #1, the bad #1, at $.68 per gallon.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Canada isn't on the travel ban, so come on down. Bring your knowledge of high taxes and it's effect to the US, Davet. :rofl:
Just joshing you, Those are extortionate prices.
Yes Feds get share of the theft, on tobacco.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Oh Geez, I can't say I'm too surprised but I would love to see the source. I'll be furiously searching now as well..
Well, after I place a small order at SmokingPipes.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Let's see now...eliminate tobacco and legalize marijuana. It makes a lot of sense from the nanny state's point of view. A stoned population will be much easier to control.

Oct 7, 2016
The "confusion" between pipe tobacco and RYO products is a real issue for many in the bureaucracy. Some manufacturers have taken advantage of this to the extent that, as far as I can see, their products have virtually disappeared from the RYO channel. Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat deprived of his tax revenue. I hope the degree of confidence expressed here that this Congress and President won't act to close this "loophole" is justified.
If you doubt the existence of this issue, just go to Pipes and Cigars website and pull up reviews of some of their best selling bulks. The majority of reviews for these products come from people using them to RYO. I am not picking on P & C. The manufacturers are doing this, with a very few exceptions.

I believe that a revenue hungry Congress is very likely to raise the taxes, particularly since they are related to health care. Just this morning, I read an article that referenced increasing GOP reluctance to repeal the taxes related to Obamacare. "Closing loopholes" is always, always and always popular with Congress. I spent over 30 years as a tax lawyer. Once something gets the loophole label, it gets closed. Just a question of how long it takes. And this loophole can be related to children's health care! (S-CHIP)
I am very sceptical about how predictably much better most modern chemically processed tobacco will improve with age. But I don't think things I enjoy now will get any worse over what I can reasonably anticipate will be my remaining life expectancy. I am therefore modestly cellaring a variety of things as my limited budget permits, mostly because of what I think is the inevitability of massive near future tax increases and/or internet sales restrictions. There is absolutely no reason to be optimistic about either of these possibilities.
End of rant. All IMO. YMMV.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I live in The Late Great Golden State of California. In these things, that being the Uber Nanny's long fingers reaching into our liberties and pocket books, California often leads the way.
Let's see now...eliminate tobacco and legalize marijuana. It makes a lot of sense from the nanny state's point of view. A stoned population will be much easier to control.
Yes, that is the way it is here. Just about all of the"tobacco" shops, with the exception of a few authentic cigar stores, are in the business of selling pot pipes and vape products, and of course extremely taxed cigarettes. All the pipes are made of glass, as all of our houses will be before too long. Everybody and their grandmother has one of those joke medical marijuana cards, plus the Prozac, plus the Botox that seems to leach from their puffed up lips into their brains.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I can't find the legislation on any federal sites. They may not be updated from yesterday, though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have any of the addled crackpots amongst the above posters thought to contact a tobacconist, like P&C, and ask them about it?
A post started with an unsubstantiated vague rumor, which gives way to a bunch of addlepated foam flecked whining over the possibility of someone somewhere doing something sorta maybe to do with a tax increase somewhere becoming an excuse for a barrage of infantile POLITICAL ravings in a forum where POLITICAL ravings don't belong would benefit from a simple act of intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.