Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Given the recent thread on Philip Morris International

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/oops-phillip-morris-goes-to-loopyville

and some of the speculation generated in the thread on McClelland 5100

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mcclelland-5100-officially-discontinued

I started to wonder about the fate of pipe tobacco as collateral damage in the war on cigarettes.
The trend seems to be an effort to create laws and public opinion to destroy the cigarette market. At the same time promoting the use of vaping as a healthy, socially acceptable and legal alternative for the poor saps addicted to nicotine. This will create gigantic monopolies in the tobacco business with the consequent destruction of carefully cultivated strains of tobacco, reduction of quality control and elimination of small growers with a concomitant rise of gigantic GMO tobacco agriculture.
There was some speculation (nothing verified) that 5100 may have been affected by the cigarette market already. Even if this isn't true, the speculation hints at the fact that our pipe tobacco may be more dependent on the cigarette market than we suspected. I know in the past, tobacco growers in the U.S. had allotments that they could fill or sell to other growers to fill, but growing tobacco was highly regulated either way. Does anyone know how tobacco is currently managed by our government here in the U.S.? Is there a future for pipe tobacco if the Cigarette market is changed to a vaping market? How can we ensure a supply of real tobacco in all of it's variety (non-GMO tobacco of different strains and cures) regardless of the decisions of Big-Tobacco?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The people who hate smoking -- standard voters looking for scapegoats and free money to fund their other delusional programs -- are not smokers, and have no idea that there is a difference between cigarettes, pipes, and cigars. So far, their anti-smoking binge has savaged the number of pipe smokers by eliminating the ability to smoke a pipe and do anything else in public except mow your lawn. As a result, those people were driven to cigarette smoking, and this market now dwarfs pipe smoking. Inverted, as usual.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I think the craziness is the destruction of smoking in favor of something akin to nicotine laced candy cigarettes.
There are a lot of people on this forum that have insight into the tobacco business. I would like to understand the process so that we can plan and ensure the survival of real tobacco and our ability to have quality leaf readily available. It may seem like it would be impossible for pipe tobacco to disappear, but it could always use informed consumers to keep it strong and growing.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Smoking has been a far worse whipping-boy in Canada - the US is really late on this train, both in terms of public scrutiny/hatred and taxation.
As BB's thread about B.C. tobacco prices indicated, we've gotten to a point here where things are so expensive that not much product moves, and because of that, retailers don't bring much in. So just as a quick example, there's no distribution in Canada of C/D tobaccos or Pease. We used to have a few tobacconists that actually had stock on things like Dunhill tins, some bulks (Lane, Brigham, some McC). But to find more than .. 20 different tins? at a store? Very rare. And that's ten years ago.
So what you guys are going to see in the USA is a reduced market in all ways - internet sales are going to get more difficult (states want their cut of taxes! and we've seen certain states enforcing this - there are letters going out to people saying "Hey we know you bought 8 pounds of tobacco from retailer X, so pay us the 99.27 you owe in state taxes.") Fewer growers, less top quality leaf. What this means is that you'll still be able to find Captain Black, and it will be 50 dollars a pouch, and that's about it for local supply for many places in the future. There are a few tobacco friendly/neutral states, but they'll soon realize that there's a cash-cow gone untapped.
The "serious" pipe smokers I know here in Canada have been cellaring (hoarding, literally), watching prices go up, watching sales channels dry up. Most of us have a fairly significant stash built up over the years, because every time we went to buy a tin, it was more expensive than last time.
There may be some bounce back, some forgiveness of market and culture, but we exist on the fringes of both profitablity and social acceptance, and that's not a good place to be.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Opinions are fine, you guys have good ones. I have read from growers and distributors on this forum so they may chime in again. I have even found that some of the members on here that are just end consumers seem to know more than many people who work at local B&Ms.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay, then I'll offer up an opinion. Of course, we're tied to the cigarette tobacco market. Compared to that market we're just the hole in the do-nut. If cigarette manufacturers aren't using much red Virginia in their blends, or are eliminating it, don't expect to find much of it being available.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Does anyone know what red virginia is? My understanding is that it is from the same plant as yellow/golden virginia; that it is from the upper leaves of the plant where more tar has settled while being cured upside down. If that is the case then wouldn't it be available as long as any type of virginia is available?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was the one that speculated about the relationship between 5100, Red Virginia and cigarettes. As I clearly stated, my statement was pure supposition.
What I do know is that much of the leaf used for pipe tobacco production is not specifically grown for that market. Dark Fired, for example, is mostly grown for chew. When I told a Dark Fired farmer that one of my company's pipe tobacco blends uses Dark Fired, he said "Really?". All of his crop is sold for chew.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
After I win the lottery next week , 500 mil, I will buy up all the independent growers and blenders and personally guarantee the production of quality pipe tobacco forever. Sadly, the market is soooo small and shrinking, and not that profitable. No big tobacco company gives a shit about pipe smokers needs or wants. The big guys deal in billions not millions, whether pipe tobacco survives is irrelevant to them.
10 years from now, I’d bet half to three quarters of the available sku’s are gone. Bulk aromatic smokers will always be well supplied, because they dominate the US tobacco market , in terms of demand. Unless I win the lottery and run a not for profit pipe tobacco enterprise, I’d recommend buying enough of what you like now before it is gone.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Tobacco Cooperatives are not included as being under the jurisdiction of the FDA. Small tobacco growers could survive under such an organization, although I don't think they will be allowed to collect more money than to cover their expenses, which presumably would cover their operation, property, utilities and food.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No farmer grows tobacco exclusively. They plant the crops that will fetch the best price, given the growing conditions. Add to that the external pressures of decreased market demand and increased costs to producers due to FDA regulation pushing down crop prices and farmers will move on to other, more profitable crops.
Homegrowing is the next frontier. Expect to see commercial offerings of casings, toppings, kilns, cutters etc increasing over the next few years.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Here is the Limitations of FDA Authority. I am not sure if I interpreted it correctly or not.

fda-authority-600x215.jpg

(2) Limitation of authority

(A) In general
The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to tobacco leaf that is not in the possession of a manufacturer of tobacco products, or to the producers of tobacco leaf, including tobacco growers, tobacco warehouses, and tobacco grower cooperatives, nor shall any employee of the Food and Drug Administration have any authority to enter onto a farm owned by a producer of tobacco leaf without the written consent of such producer.

(B) Exception
Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), if a producer of tobacco leaf is also a tobacco product manufacturer or controlled by a tobacco product manufacturer, the producer shall be subject to this subchapter in the producer's capacity as a manufacturer. The exception in this subparagraph shall not apply to a producer of tobacco leaf who grows tobacco under a contract with a tobacco product manufacturer and who is not otherwise engaged in the manufacturing process.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was referring to increased costs incurred by tobacco product producers (manufacturers), not growers. They will look to cut costs where they can, and with decreased demand for leaf, it could mean lower crop prices for farmers.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Right, and add to that when the government boys come 'round and say "Say, fella, we hear tobacco's gonna be 10 cents a pound this year, and we have a little program going where if you were to plant soy beans instead, we'd guarantee to buy your whole crop, and we'll pay for the seed." Farmer Brown would have to be a pretty die-hard pipe smoker to not get on a gravy train like that.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
we exist on the fringes of both profitablity and social acceptance, and that's not a good place to be.
Bingo!
The best way for growers to produce tobacco and manufacturers to blend it is for those invested in pipe smoking to work to make that happen. Rather prognosticating about the dire prospects, take to the streets. What, against Big Tobacco and the Feds? Yes. Revolution in the US waits on the middle class being hungry; and we are the middle class of the pipe world. (Nice thoughts, I guess, but they don't amount to much, as although we may be the that middle class, we don't have the numbers to press our point effectively.)
But I suppose this is not already being done as if a grower produces 5000 bales he sells it to the market that will buy all of it, which would be Big Tobacco, which is probably why C&D and McClelland haven't done so already, connecting themselves to growers prepared to sell less of their crop at a price blenders can pay.
I know little about prices as determined by markets, but it would seem to be possible for growers and blenders to meet somewhere in the middle so that both could continue to sustain themselves doing what both want to do, tobacco.
Of course, those with deep cellars can just relax in front of the fire and ignore the changes.
I've read that red, brown and gold VA come from lower and higher areas of a single plant, probably brown lowest and gold highest, much like viso, seco and ligero on a plant used for cigar tobacco. The lower on the plant the longer their maturation.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
If a tobacco grower does most of the work he could take the monetary contributions of non working members when he works longer than is due from a single working member, in a sense getting spending money beyond operational expenses. If Grower/Producers are only "selling" (monthly tobacco delivery of our own crop) the product to co-op members then it would seem to be a legal loophole to get around FDA Authority. We would just have to buy into the Laudisi Cooperative, for example. The only downside is that we would have to accept bad crops, instead of choosing not to buy them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
socially acceptable and legal alternative for the poor saps addicted to nicotine.
I'm not so sure it's the nicotine that the average cigarette smoker is so strongly addicted to (except for the small percentage who are smoking high quality cigs containing real tobacco).
I suspect the addiction likely involves other chemicals in the products they're ingesting...much like those who are addicted to diet soft drinks and think it’s the caffeine when in reality it’s the aspartame they are addicted to.
The people who hate smoking -- standard voters looking for scapegoats and free money to fund their other delusional programs -- are not smokers, and have no idea that there is a difference between cigarettes, pipes, and cigars. So far, their anti-smoking binge has savaged the number of pipe smokers by eliminating the ability to smoke a pipe and do anything else in public except mow your lawn. As a result, those people were driven to cigarette smoking, and this market now dwarfs pipe smoking. Inverted, as usual.
+1000 to all of that

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
All this doom and gloom is the reason why I buy all I can now. Buy, buy, buy!!! I've been actively cellaring tobacco since early 2010 and I'm just going to keep on keeping on.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
What I do know is that much of the leaf used for pipe tobacco production is not specifically grown for that market. Dark Fired, for example, is mostly grown for chew.

That is really interesting, I didn't know that. Is it also used in dip like Copenhagen? I dipped that stuff for a good 25 years and I've always wondered what type of leaf is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.