PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So when you smoke a pipe, do you generally hold it in your left hand and/or clench to the left, or are you a right side smoker? Or do you switch hit?
99% of the time I hold my pipe in my left hand and clench on the left when I clench.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I definitely shift the pipe back and forth to give it a freshened exposure to taste buds on one side or the other. I usually light a pipe clenched on the right, but shift it back and forth regularly during a smoke. I'm right handed and apply the match or lighter with my right hand. The other freshener is to sip a beverage. The moistens the mouth and definitely gives the taste a lift.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Switch holder and clencher here. :puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Left side holder and clencher here, too. I really don't know why, but right side smoking just feels off to me.

Dec 28, 2015
Lefty here, although I do try to make a conscious effort to shift it around a bit. But if I'm not thinking it will always be in the left. Of course I am also left handed so that may be why.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm left dominant ambi- and bi-dexterous--I write, throw, and do a majority of things left handed; I play bass, guitar, other instruments, golf, and do quite a few things right-handed; I switch hit in baseball, play tennis right or left, do a number of things with either hand. However, I am a left holding, left clenching pipe smoker, only switching hands to light with my left hand, then switch back. Same with cigars. I've never smoked cigarettes.

Fascinating, huh?

-doc-
PS--We left handers are the only people in our right minds. (Neuropsychology humour.) -d-

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Hold with the left and clench with the right.
I usually get most other things bassackards, as well.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Left side is my normal side, I do move it to the right every once in a while, but only when I'm thinking about it. So 80% left.
Interestingly, I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about this. I'll often switch to the right, then think about why do I prefer my left so much. While I am thinking I invariably move the pipe to the left side subconsciously.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
An inordinate number of lefties amongst this thread, the average being about 10% of the population.

Hmmn...
Sorry, a few psychology and psycholinguistics degrees here. Spent a few years researching 'handedness'.

Still, quite a few. Has to do with the right brain and pipe smokers' personalities.

Never mind.

-d-

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I'm right handed, though I am ambidextrous in a lot of things I do. But, I suspect most of the folks who smoke from the left side are right handed, and likewise most of the right side folks are left handed.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
When I got some new teeths I had to change from the left side to the middle of the mouth and now I sometimes hold the pipe in my left hand when I smoke,which I never did before.

Also,with the new teeths I began to burn the bowl on new pipes.What a mess.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Right handed and I clench in right side and hold with my right hand, except to light, as the match or lighter must also be in the right hand, so I often light clenching. Didn't realize how little I utilize my left side when smoking, odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.