Pipes Magazine » Pipe Clubs

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lee Von Erck GKCPC Pipe

(16 posts)
  1. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in 2011 Lee Von Erck was one of the winners of the pipe carving contest. His pipe sits on the top of the mounting of the seven winning pipes.

photo displaycase2_zpsoyuhpqqo.jpg">

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lee emailed the other day and said that his signature shape has always been the "loon" pipes that he makes that resemble a loon's neck and head when held upright by the stem. He said that he has had such strong demand for pipes like the one he made for the KC Pipe Carving Contest that he has decided to have a second signature shape that he has named the "GKCPC" in honor of winning the contest.

photo Von-Erck Top_zpsm7ptztv4.jpg">

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate straight pipes but i would love to have one of these. It is amazing how he makes it look like the stem, shank, and bowl are twisted.

As you can see Lee's pipes aren't cheap but if you want one you'll need to get on the waiting list.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Von Erck is on my short list, for sure. What beautiful pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've yet to find any other maker whose pipes smoke better than my Von Ercks. His oil curing process creates a nutty sweetness to the pipe. They require no break in. I have a half dozen and there's not a stinker in the bunch. His pipes have become very popular in Japan and demand is rising. Prices are going up.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have one of those pipes made by Lee about a year or so ago. Very, very light for the size.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lee is a good friend and I really think his currant work is outstanding and very unique but I can't afford them. I have to settle for the three I bought years ago. They are rustic but they have that signature LvE look. They are along with my E Andrew pipes part of the permanent collection.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe ! Now I guess I have to change the name of "Billiards" to "GKCPCs" on my website

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here is the Ryan Alden "GKCPC" Billiard.

Ryan Alden - Winner photo 600-RyanAlden_zps8cbabbde.jpg">

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think of that pipe as a classic Von Erck shape, but I'm curious if he made it much before the contest ?
    I know one thing, since the contest last year I've made beaucoup Billiards !

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe, but man that price tag

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure the contest was the first time he ever did that shape.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was looking at some of this man's work this a.m....found this thread, and this pipe...only $1,050.00

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Love Von Erck's work! Bruce Weaver studied with him for a bit, and alot of Bruce's pipes reflect it.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Perfect moment for this thread to resurface as I am enjoying Haddo's Delight in a large Von Erck canted Dublin with blasted bowl and turned shank. I can't imagine a better pipe at any price. Light as a feather, Always smokes nutty sweet. Effortless draw.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a Von Erck on the bay for under 2 bills that I wish I could afford. I have always liked his shapes and styling.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, ssjones, laa2, pappymac, gatorlope, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, autumnfog