PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Six pipes... you are a lucky guy, sablebrush.
My ambition is to own an Erck pipe some day.

I like the shaping style and also his approach as pipemaker.

Inspirational, for some reason.
I've learned that he oil cures the pipes.

Is there a certain taste to it?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cured briar hs had the residual sap removed from it. In this case the oil gets into the wood and replaces the sap, and then the oil is removed by heat, leaving a transient nutty taste.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For the first part of my smoking career I found something about LVE's pipes unsettling or puzzling, but memory doesn't serve to recall what that was. In the latter part I admired them as his shaping and fluted, spiraling bowls and shanks were unmistakably his. I wish the article was much longer. I love his work.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A gentle nuttiness is a good descriptor. Von Erck says that he spent several years working out his curing method, ruining a lot of briar along the way. He sure hit a home run. The pipes of his that I have are very light weight, beautifully balanced and are among my best smokers consistently providing effortlessly great smokes. Every one is a desert island pipe.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Interesting read.. I had two Von Erck pipes but sold them maybe ten years ago. They were well made but just too large for me.
I don't know if all of his pipes run to the large side or just the two that I had purchased. If there are smaller ones, they might be a better match for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know if all of his pipes run to the large side or just the two that I had purchased.
The majority of his pipes run toward the larger size, but he does occasionally make a smaller pipe, and he does commission work.
Think I'll smoke some Troost Slices in this big ol' sandblast Dublin I have in front of me.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks for the info @sablebrush.
Think I'll smoke some Troost Slices in this big ol' sandblast Dublin I have in front of me.
Troost slices is one of my favorites. Having spent the last seven years in the northern latitudes, I haven't had much attraction to something so light. Now that I find myself in Florida, I am going to have to dig out the old tins. Thanks for the reminder.
PS: Do you know anywhere that ships Troost Slices to the US? Last time I ordered them was from cigarwebshop.nl, but I'm not sure that they ship to the US anymore.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Okay, thanks. I have a few square tins left but not much more. Probably going to take the kids to Europe next summer, so I'll have to look around while I'm there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've always enjoyed his work. Bruce Weaver studied under him for a time, and his influence is quite evident in Bruce's pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.