Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lee Von Erck

(11 posts)
  1. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

Just picked up a Von Erck estate, it's a lovely looking pipe! From the nomenclature I believe it was the 56th pipe he carved in 2001, and looks like it may be a limited edition from the 7/10 stamp. Pretty excited to get it in my hands!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Lee's one of my favorite people to run into when I'm in Chicago...This was definitely an early one...Looks like he used a screw tenon of some type to join the shank extension to the shank- hard to tell from the picture...

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

It does look like a screw-on tenon. Glad to hear he's a cool dude. I sent Lee an email to ask more about the pipe, I wonder if I'll hear back.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Lee's pipes are my favorite artisan pipes. I've never had less than a fabulous smoke from any of mine. I suspect it's his knowledge and sourcing of wood, enhanced by his proprietary oil curing process and spot on drilling. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have your plans on what blends will shine in this pipe, but that tall deep bowl just cries out to me, "Tabac-Manil Semois!" That dry burley variant just shines in a tall narrow bowl, for those who have a taste for burley.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

Cheers Sable, very much looking forward to trying it out. Maybe I'll get to meet Lee in Chicago one of these years.

Mso, I havne't had Semois in a couple of years but it might be time to get some! It does sound like it would be great in this bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lee's earlier work is humble but you can see the look that his spectacular pieces show these days. I got four of his fairly rustic pipes that I bought from him in the late 90's and early 2000's. One is a early Loon and one is when I had the first pick of the MAPS POY when he was starting to perfect his blasting technique. That early Loon has the same amber stem as your pipe and I've wanted him to inlay his abalone trademark in the stem since I bought it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

billp

Login to Send PM

Lee is a great pipemaker, I think I have more than 5 of his from way back
    was always great to see him in Chicago

but then that was 10 or more years ago when I usually done a couple of shows a year
    will have to dig through my pipes and get all of them together so I can show you some pics
    of some of his earlier works

bill in red deer

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's one of mine:

I really like his blasts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

That is a gorgeous blast! I heard back from Lee, he said my pipe is one of a limited run of 10 he did for himself back in 2001. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. codecreatively

Code

Login to Send PM

The Lee Von Erck has landed, and man does it smoke!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, erkpik, olkofri, morgansteele, cranseiron, ben88, canadianpuffer, shanez, mikefu, sasquatch, acidpox, ekert, ashdigger, derhammer, alsatmem, pappymac