PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffdaddy

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
We know that direct natural sunlight on non acrylic pipe stems will lead to quick oxidation damage and fading (don't store your pipes near a sunny window) but what about the effects of LED lighting in a cabinet? I have a nice little rotating 9 slot rack of pipes my wife wants to put in the livingroom curio which is lighted with tiny strips of LED lights. The pipes in that rack are my most expensive, including a couple of Dunhill Cumberlands, and I don't want to screw things up. The location recieves no direct sunlight, just the LED lighting. I'd imagine that many pipe shops light their display racks, do they take care to use a certain type of lighting? Any experiences with this?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
From Pipedia - "Vulcanite stems can oxidize, turning a disgusting brownish green color caused by a reaction between sunlight and the sulfur in the rubber. This is one case where "an ounce of prevention" definitely pays off. Avoid exposing vulcanite stems to direct sunlight whenever possible, and wipe off your stems after each use. Products such as Obsidian Oil also claim to stave off the development of oxidation."
Based on that, I would say that your pipes will be fine under LED lights. Just take them out occasionally, smoke them and then wipe down the stem.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
It's all relative to the amount of UV given off by the light source. So depending on the wavelength of your LEDs, generally there is very little if any UV for a warm white 2700kelvin color temperature. When you go farther into the blue and purple spectrum you can really get into the UV wavelengths but generally speaking any commercially available LED cabinet lighting that is "white" will be just fine.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As a photographer, LED lights are, for multiple reasons, the bane of my existence. They flicker, have inconsistent color and intensity output and are generally lacking in the colors that make of skin tones. So I've done some research on them already.
What you are asking about though is the UV output. I don't know what portion of the spectrum vulcanite (rubber) reacts to, but let's assume that it is just UV (non-visible) radiation. So there are two variable to look at: Wavelength and intensity. UV's wavelength range runs 10-400nm. You will have to look up the spectral power distribution curve for the light source you are using and see how much UV is there, but that's difficult because LED manufacturer's curves don't usually cover the UV range, only visible light. Manufacturers claim that LED's don't output UV. True, their output in the 300-400nm range is negligible, but what about the rest of the UV spectrum? We don't know, but there are suggestions that LED's can output as much UV in the 200-300nm range as they do visible light!
The other variable to keep in mind is light intensity. It is unlikely that any indoor LED lighting in the home is going to come anywhere near the intensity of daylight, so you have that on your side.
In short, I think that incidental LED lighting might be safer than sunlight for rubber pipe stems, if the intensity is kept low. But there isn't any good data to back that up.
daylight-high-cri.png

Here's a spectral power distribution curve for daylight vs two different LED light sources. Note the absence of UV data.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had the LED puck lights installed in my cabinet for about three years now. I only turn it on when I'm getting a pipe out at night, or a visitor wants to see them (my friends/relatives are always amazed, and probably think that I'm a weirdo, guess that I am). I've left them on before and see no effects at all from the lights.
One light per shelf is plenty for my cabinet.

puffdaddy

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
Al, I have the same curio but mine has glass shelves. The LED lights are stdips glued to the inside of the door frame and run on a dimmer at the lowest setting. The following link is to the light strips:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/154082/FLX-00020.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwppPKBRCGwrSpqK7Y5jcSJACHYbWYqSzn98lgT8xUxU55O9qqLJYVsUal4Rb8MUgnb5Jq3BoC_nnw_wcB
IMG

IMG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice Puffdady, that is less obtrusive and a bit cheaper than my set from Lowes. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with those strips.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's great information here backed up by some serious experience and research. So far, my take-home notion is, the LED's are probably far too low intensity and likely not the right spectrum to cause a problem, and you gain more security by burning them only when the pipes are actually being viewed. Not to be cute, but it is somewhat that, since you won't get a sunburn from the LED's, the pipe stems won't oxidize either. If you are protective of your best pipes, you could keep your treasures in a drawer and put your ordinary smokers in the LED light, and once you are comfortable that there is no additional oxidation, you could add the fine pipes.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Commercially available "White" LEDs for use in lighting are generally an all blue High powered LED with a phosphor coating that changes the spectral output. Again, to woodsroad's point, spectral outputs for LEDs don't go into the UV category under 400nm wavelengths in the manufacturers spec sheets. As you'll note on the spectral output chart, the farther to the left or blue/purple you go, the closer you get to the UV wavelengths. So if the LED is actually a blue emitter covered by phosphor, does the phosphor filter out the 400nm and lower wavelengths? Seeing as to how it shifts the blue into a mixture of visible wavelengths to produce a white color, I have to think that this may be possible. I do know that the LEDs used in grow lamps are a much different type than those used for commercial lighting.
I don't think I've heard of this UV concern with LED lighting, and I work in the industry. But this discussion has piqued my curiosity. There have been many studies on how lighting can effect moods and circadian rhythm, and as therapeutic use, but I have yet to see any of them even mention the UV aspect.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The link that I provided above does suggest that there could be substantial UV output from some LEDs.
There isn't much info available on the web about this. I think that most people have simply accepted the "common knowledge" that LEDs do not emit UV, and look no further.
I don't have the time to investigate this, and I know the rabbit hole this leads to: The one where I end up buying a radiometer. Oh, wait! Here's one on eBay, with the short (UV-C) sensor, for only 50 bucks! No...must not....must...resist urge....

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For the graph I posted, I was struck by the difference between the daylight and LED curves at what I estimate to be ~ 350nm;

which, I feel, is comfortably within the UV. The article you posted proposes spikes in the LED output below 400nm -- which

may be true, but isn't supported by the graph I found. Don't photog's use UV filters? Maybe there are larger chunks of glass

that can be employed as a filter.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Cortez, there is definitely a lack of data on LEDs and UV, especially below UV-A. As for filters, I don't know what exactly gets filtered out by a photo UV filter. Never thought about it, as I don't use them. I was always struck by the claim that a photo UV filter helps cut blue haze. That's nice, except that UV isn't visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.